Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a reel that I can run 5 wt and 8 wt on the same frame by just interchanging spools. I know the Nautilus XL and XL Max fit the bill but are there any others out there I’m missing?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2021 HB Professional Tunnel
470 Posts
I have used a Hatch 5 plus with 5wt line and 8wt line, mainly for redfish.

·
Banned
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
276 Posts
I am looking for a reel that I can run 5 wt and 8 wt on the same frame by just interchanging reels. I know the Nautilus XL and XL Max fit the bill but are there any others out there I’m missing?
You should check out the Galvin Torque either the #6 0r #7. The #6 WF6+150 yds. backing, the #7 WF7+150 yds. backing. American made, about $400/ just under $200 for a spare spool. Available in multiple anodized colors if that's what you're in to.

·
Registered
570 Posts
+1 on the hatch 5+

Reactions: kjnengr

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should check out the Galvin Torque either the #6 0r #7. The #6 WF6+150 yds. backing, the #7 WF7+150 yds. backing. American made, about $400/ just under $200 for a spare spool. Available in multiple anodized colors if that's what you're in to.
I’m not sure it matters as much to me as it used to, but that reel isn’t sealed correct?

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,707 Posts
New or used? Abel Super 5 (#5 + 150 yds) and spare Big Game No. 2 spool (#8 + 275 yds) will do it if you're good with used gear.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would just go with 8wt size reels on both the 5wt and the 8wt and anything in between. I am using my 8wt reels on my 5wt rods and they work great. The spool diameter works good for both and they are relatively light. The Galvan Torque is not sealed but there are many advantages to that, like the ability to rinse the drag off. If something gets past the seal of a sealed drag then it is a done deal until you can take it all apart and fix it. I have actually witnessed this with high end sealed drags. I suggest a light weight 8wt reel for what you want. For a cheaper alternative look at the Lamson Liquid 3 Pack. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WWGTZDX?ref=em_1p_0_im&ref_=pe_3650410_565627810&th=1&psc=1

·
I Love microskiff.com!
996 Posts
I don't know if it can cover 5 & 8wt sizes but check out the 3 Tand reels. I think their T50 would fit your needs. Or maybe the T70.

I have the T70 and I'm pretty impressed with the reel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts