Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll be fishing the waters around Naples this March and April and I’m a bit overwhelmed by the number of species specific and taper specific line choices. In contrast I’m looking for a quality easy casting versatile line for a 7 or 8 weight that I can fish for trout, redfish, and snook, against the mangroves or in open water. I often use Sci Anglers mpx tapers in freshwater, but saltwater is a different animal. I’m open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance...
Mel

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rió bonefish quickshooter and royal wulff Bermuda Triangle taper are my favorites. I do actually have a used royal wulff saltwater triangle taper if you wanted to go the used route, in all honesty I’d suggest getting a new line!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
I use the wulff BTT lines on everything. I also fish the same lines in freshwater for bass and stripers. It's a great line.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would use the lines you have on the rods now if you cast and fish well with them. What kind of fishing/what type flies do you use the 7 and 8 weight outfits for now?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Royal Wulff Bermuda Shorts Triangle Taper. My favorite line.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I love my SA amplitude MPX line for my 8 wt BVK, can't go wrong with the grand slam line either just realize that one is very heavy by grain weight.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Scientific anglers lines hands down. The grand slam taper is great for open water but not finesse casting under mangroves. The standard saltwater taper will do it all distance (if your a good caster) and finesse. I like the textured lines either sharkwave or the new amplitude.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Marketing can be a powerful tool. It's likely less important than you think. I'd roll with what you have. If you have nothing in those weights, look at the tapers and pick one that fits your casting style.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just looked up the mpx, if you want something in the same weight look at the sa saltwater taper or rio bonefish dc. I’ve been using a bonefish line on the river lately with no problems. They’re both a 225g line at 30ft. The bonefish taper will weigh more as you let more line out, the one thing I’ve found with the dc version is it carries momentum very well with the under the dock shots. Just get it started and let her roll out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions. I currently fish a Scott meridian 8’4” 8 weight for closer work and a 9’ Batson eternity 2, 7 weight, a very fast rod. I use airflo and Cortland lines on them that are at least 5 years old. I forget the models, but they weren’t top of the line. I’d like to move up a notch. So many people seem to likE the Wulff lines. I tend not to like very aggressive heavier heads on freshwater streamer lines. They aren’t fun to fish and land with a plunk. Does the particular triangular taper of the Wulff line, with the weight at the back of the head, correct this? Thanks again...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wulff bermuda taper or SA grand slam are all i use.

If you want durable I believe the most durable lines are made by airflo. You may look on ebay right now as all the hatch fly lines are on clearance which a rebranded airflo lines.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
From what you said about not liking heavier tapers I would at minimum look at most companies tarpon lines, or bonefish tapers as they have the longer head lengths.

I like scientific angler bonefish, and airflo tropical clear tip floater tapers.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I currently fish a Scott meridian 8’4” 8 weight for closer work and a 9’ Batson eternity 2, 7 weight, a very fast rod. I use airflo and Cortland lines on them that are at least 5 years old. I forget the models, but they weren’t top of the line. I’d like to move up a notch. So many people seem to likE the Wulff lines. I tend not to like very aggressive heavier heads on freshwater streamer lines. They aren’t fun to fish and land with a plunk. Does the particular triangular taper of the Wulff line, with the weight at the back of the head, correct this? Thanks again...
then rio dc bonefish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts