Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does a 8* vee hull ride (18' Prodigy, aluminum is .157 hull) and cut through the chop to 1'+ maybe, you know, the Gulf situations that come up etc?
Is a 8* hull decent (cut enough) for the Gulf (flats and bay running), for those who have more experience in the Gulf than I do I appreciate your knowledge on this.
I just don't want to get beat to death like a Modified Vee to flat bottom boat on a light breeze day etc and able to run where needed close to shore/Island hopping sometimes.
Is 8* hull that much different than what I described above w/the Modified Vee?
Yes I know the speed and conditions etc.
Never have ridden in a 8* hull before, mostly larger boats w/ more Vee and looking for something that will work in this situation as well as use it for hunting etc.
Thanks,

·
Registered
62 Posts
My Havoc 1756 is an 8 deg V. Although it is slightly better than a completely flat bottom. I'm not rippin across Charlotte Harbor like I would on my flats boat. But thats not why I got it. To answer your question, its a minor, not major improvement over a flat

Prodigy will probably build you a 12 or 14 deg but there are going to be trade offs like draft and stability. The wider you go, (1860 for example) the more stable and shallower drafting it will be but, it will also slap more running into a chop.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My 1860 Excel has a similar shallow V. I fish in the marsh with it, but I wouldn't want to cross anything bigger than a medium sized lake on a breezy day.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Havoc 1756 is an 8 deg V. Although it is slightly better than a completely flat bottom. I'm not rippin across Charlotte Harbor like I would on my flats boat. But thats not why I got it. To answer your question, its a minor, not major improvement over a flat

Prodigy will probably build you a 12 or 14 deg but there are going to be trade offs like draft and stability. The wider you go, (1860 for example) the more stable and shallower drafting it will be but, it will also slap more running into a chop.
I'll have to ask them. Maybe a 12* might be the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 1860 Excel has a similar shallow V. I fish in the marsh with it, but I wouldn't want to cross anything bigger than a medium sized lake on a breezy day.
How do you like your Excel?
I heard their foam sucks up water unless they corrected that problem on the 2020+ models.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,169 Posts
How well does a 8* vee hull ride (18' Prodigy, aluminum is .157 hull) and cut through the chop to 1'+ maybe, you know, the Gulf situations that come up etc?
8* at the stern, or all the way along the hull?
My skiff is 3* at the stern but because it has a very sharp entry it'll cut a wave with some tab. If the boat is 8* along the full length of the keel, RIP kidneys in anything over 8" chop at speed, if you're willing to slow way down if won't be that bad.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
8* at the stern, or all the way along the hull?
My skiff is 3* at the stern but because it has a very sharp entry it'll cut a wave with some tab. If the boat is 8* along the full length of the keel, RIP kidneys in anything over 8" chop at speed, if you're willing to slow way down if won't be that bad.
Yes I specifically asked Prodigy if the hull was 8* to the stern and the reply was yes.
It's their Razor 8* inverted crimp; fishtail deck hull.
I told Prodigy I wanted a hull that will turn very well w/a outboard and this ^^^ is what I was given.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
522 Posts
How do you like your Excel?
I heard their foam sucks up water unless they corrected that problem on the 2020+ models.
Im happy with mine. I've heard the same about the foam. But mine is a 2017 and one of the guys I hunt with has a 2018..... the foam in both is dry as a bone. Mine stays in the garage and his stays in the yard under a top. I fish out of this boat more now than I do my bass boat. Mine is a little on the large side for running in the timber in Arkansas, but that's the compromise I made for a better fishing platform. Only complaint I have is that they are hard to prop correctly and not much out there in terms of resources to guide you down the right path. Any prop with bow lift porpoises like crazy. Just took some trial and error to find that this hull really likes low rake stern lifting cleavers. I have about 4 props that did not work to sell now :LOL:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im happy with mine. I've heard the same about the foam. But mine is a 2017 and one of the guys I hunt with has a 2018..... the foam in both is dry as a bone. Mine stays in the garage and his stays in the yard under a top. I fish out of this boat more now than I do my bass boat. Mine is a little on the large side for running in the timber in Arkansas, but that's the compromise I made for a better fishing platform. Only complaint I have is that they are hard to prop correctly and not much out there in terms of resources to guide you down the right path. Any prop with bow lift porpoises like crazy. Just took some trial and error to find that this hull really likes low rake stern lifting cleavers. I have about 4 props that did not work to sell now :LOL:
Thanks for the info!
Good to know about the foam.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,771 Posts
How do you measure dead rise. My flats boat does well in big water then floats in 8-9"

Reactions: Rollbar

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,771 Posts
So I'll have to find something flat then measure the distance between the flat part and the hull. Yea that's the ticket!!!

Reactions: Rollbar

·
Brandon, FL
10,523 Posts
@Rollbar

At 8 or 12 or 14, etc you are going to get beat up in that boat in 1'+ waves. The aluminum boat does not weigh enough to lay down into the wave but rather bounce off. If you want smooth ride in 1 footer take a look at the offshore racers. That is the deadrise you are going to need, otherwise just slow down and your kidneys will thank you.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Rollbar

At 8 or 12 or 14, etc you are going to get beat up in that boat in 1'+ waves. The aluminum boat does not weigh enough to lay down into the wave but rather bounce off. If you want smooth ride in 1 footer take a look at the offshore racers. That is the deadrise you are going to need, otherwise just slow down and your kidneys will thank you.
I was hoping the .190 (3/16") hull and the weight of the boat (1200lbs) (not including gear/people/motor) would help in that department.
But thank you very much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts