Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you guys were an awesome help with the new vice, cant wait for it to get here! Since i'm already upgrading vices, I was looking at upgrading some other aspects of my tying supplies. I know nothing about UV cured resins as far as what is good, what you really need, and how much to spend. I currently use Loon Hard Head for any epoxy related needs and a zapagap like resin to finish off my flies. I have no complaints with the hard head other than it takes a while to dry. I don't really have a fly tying bench so any flies that have to be left out to dry are in the way of my small apartment and stands the risk of being messed up/knocked over. I like the idea of being able to stack up epoxy on a shrimp pattern or build up a nice head on a deceiver or Polar minnow and have it be hard and ready to fish after a few seconds. I didn't realize that the UV supplies were so damn expensive, it has me hesitating. What are your experiences with it? Is it worth the purchase? Which one do you recommend?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
363 Posts
i have loon uv clear thin. i love it and its lasted a while now. a lot more control than using zap on the head threads IMO. Its not like you put it on then cringe when its a big bulk because you have time to move it around or wipe some off. Plus the tiny dispenser tips are very controllable and don't get gunked up. I just have a cheap UV light to go with it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I upgraded to all UV products about a year ago and I'm not looking back. If I forget to cap my UV resin it doesnt harden. My $10 bottle of zap is such a pain in the ass and it stinks. You don't need the $50 UV light, get a cheap one off Amazon. If you need a link I will PM you one.

I also have saved more than I invested by making my own shrimp/crab eyes with Loon thick. I love the stuff.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I still use CA for some things and I prefer the Loktite brush on. I use Ultra Gel control for glueing on eyes and things like that.

For UV, I use a combo of things. I use Loon thin and thick for 90% of my tying needs. I also use the Deer Creek Diamond fine flex. This stuff is awesome if you make dubbing head or reverse tied craft fur type flies.

I also agree that an off brand UV light works just as good as the high dollar ones. Mine was $9 off eBay and it's been flawless. Just make sure it doesn't take some odd battery you can't find at Walmart ;-)

Lou

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I can get just the thin and thick plus a cheap light on ebay all together for like $40. Done deal.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,635 Posts
I agree that is what the website says but in my experience Flow seems thicker in my head/thread applications. Maybe my bottle is mislabeled.
That is interesting -- my buddy has the Flow and I have the Thin, and his seems to soak into the threads a little more than mine does. I've been meaning to buy a bottle of the Flow for myself, but I didn't really feel like there was enough of a difference for me to actually order a new bottle yet.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I thought I would check in now that I have used a couple UV products on a number of flies. I got the Loon UV thick, thin, and flow. Flow is very runny and soaks into the thread nicely. The thin is a little goopier, you could make some nice thread to fly head transitions, the thick is nice and goopy, perfect for large round heads. I got a $6 UV light with the right wavelength for the UV resins (395nm i think). This cures the resin quickly, however with every different loon product, it wouldn't dry rock hard. It is clearly cured, it just has a rubbery texture to it. I tried putting it out in the sun and everything. A little research brought me to Solarez. I got a starter pack with thick, thin, and flex for like $15. I used the thin over the top of one of my Loon cured flies. This gave me the rock hard, scratch proof finish I was looking for. I will use the loon to build up heads but I will finish them all with the Solarez. not a fan of the cheap paste tubes but the product does work very well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts