Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Using a '96 Yamaha 2-stroke (2 cylinder), what do I need to know?

536 6
I inherited a 96 yamaha two stroke (precision blend, electric start)mated to a Winyah bay 13.5 ft skiff. Got it in the water a couple times this summer, I want it to be ready for a full summer of fun. What has been people's experience with these motors? What kind of maintenance should I perform this winter? I figure switching out the sparkplugs at the very least. Of course I should switch out the gearbox oil, but what else should I perform? Are there any easy mods to increase performance? Once I get the boat on plane, she can scream. I'd love to make it as fast as I can. Is it worth buying one of these online owner's manuals?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I inherited a 96 yamaha two stroke (precision blend, electric start)mated to a Winyah bay 13.5 ft skiff. Got it in the water a couple times this summer, I want it to be ready for a full summer of fun. What has been people's experience with these motors? What kind of maintenance should I perform this winter? I figure switching out the sparkplugs at the very least. Of course I should switch out the gearbox oil, but what else should I perform? Are there any easy mods to increase performance? Once I get the boat on plane, she can scream. I'd love to make it as fast as I can. Is it worth buying one of these online owner's manuals?
Also, I want to replace the axle of my boat trailer w/new hubs and the variety that can be greeased without disassembling the wheels. Where can I buy this?

·
Fly-By-Night
3,191 Posts
Change the plugs, change the water pump, change the oil in the foot, and run the piss out of it. It'll be one of the best motors you'll ever own, don't mod it, it'll impact the reliability and won't be worth the small gain in power.

Lastly, Post pics!

Good luck LH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.