21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
245 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just sent this to my brother yesterday! Looks like a killer deal!!

I seen that!!! Looks like a scam to me.... too good to be true!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Personally, I’m all for honesty and transparency as a seller. As much as you don’t want a surprise I don’t want you to be surprised. The other side of it though is the majority of my experience selling boats is the buyers expect a new boat condition for used boat pricing. I could understand being as thorough as your post is suggesting if you’re trying to get top dollar out of a used boat, but I’ve literally listed two boats for the value that a dealer quoted me to take on trade and gotten a barrage of questions and regardless of the answer is going to attempt to talk down pricing. When you price something at a good selling price a lot of those questions don’t matter, certainly not to the extent that the buyer wouldn’t be wanting to come see it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve ignored inquiries because of the barrage of questions and the boat is priced at trade in cost that I’m going to get regardless of if you buy it or not. Everybody has they’re opinion though.

Most people buying used boats have a champagne taste and a natural light budget and expect the seller to accommodate. If you want a particular boat set up how you want it without any use, there are tons of places to be looking but it’s not the used boat market. Maybe you’re lucky, if so, stop looking at boats and go play the lottery.

·
Brandon, FL
10,708 Posts
I seen that!!! Looks like a scam to me.... too good to be true!
Did you contact the guy?

Maybe he has been laid off for the past year due to the chinaflu and needs cash.

You won't know until you have actual dialogue.

One thing that tells me it may not be a scam is everything in the description accurately describes what is visible in the picture and some russian scammer is not going to know what those items are.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you contact the guy?

Maybe he has been laid off for the past year due to the chinaflu and needs cash.

You won't know until you have actual dialogue.

One thing that tells me it may not be a scam is everything in the description accurately describes what is visible in the picture and some russian scammer is not going to know what those items are.
Haaaa I did..... That boat could of been posted somewhere else and it was copied & pasted..... It's really that easy...... Not sure the motive....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Personally, I’m all for honesty and transparency as a seller. As much as you don’t want a surprise I don’t want you to be surprised. The other side of it though is the majority of my experience selling boats is the buyers expect a new boat condition for used boat pricing. I could understand being as thorough as your post is suggesting if you’re trying to get top dollar out of a used boat, but I’ve literally listed two boats for the value that a dealer quoted me to take on trade and gotten a barrage of questions and regardless of the answer is going to attempt to talk down pricing. When you price something at a good selling price a lot of those questions don’t matter, certainly not to the extent that the buyer wouldn’t be wanting to come see it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve ignored inquiries because of the barrage of questions and the boat is priced at trade in cost that I’m going to get regardless of if you buy it or not. Everybody has they’re opinion though.

Most people buying used boats have a champagne taste and a natural light budget and expect the seller to accommodate. If you want a particular boat set up how you want it without any use, there are tons of places to be looking but it’s not the used boat market. Maybe you’re lucky, if so, stop looking at boats and go play the lottery.
I know what a used boat is....... I wasn't born with a gold spoon and surely live within my means.... I'm not shopping for a hells bay because It's out of my price range..... If a boat is FFFF'd up somewhere and needs attention, then ffff'n say it.... I'd have a lot more respect for that and analyze if I can repair it..... Barrage of questions... If that bothers you then you just move on to the next buyer right? It is what it is. I'm certainly NOT going to change how I buy a used boat...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know what a used boat is....... I wasn't born with a gold spoon and surely live within my means.... I'm not shopping for a hells bay because It's out of my price range..... If a boat is FFFF'd up somewhere and needs attention, then ffff'n say it.... I'd have a lot more respect for that and analyze if I can repair it..... Barrage of questions... If that bothers you then you just move on to the next buyer right? It is what it is. I'm certainly NOT going to change how I buy a used boat...
You do you, Just telling you what sellers see. It’s exhausting. If a boat is f’d up, it’s usually apparent in the price. I’m not saying anything about you and spoons. I’m not creating a thread suggesting anyone do anything how I think it should be done. Just offering insight that I believe most sellers would tell you, the next person who sends a barrage of questions about a boat for sale that actually buys it, will be the first that many of us have seen.

Like I indicated previously, I don’t really have to move on because I ignore it to begin with. Usually a buyer is trying to figure out when they can get there. They are easy to spot. Likewise, I have no issues getting rid of boats, so I wouldn’t say I plan to change how I respond to buyers. I have wasted a lot of time in the past explaining all the details that if a boat is 35k and a new boat is 70k then it probably has about 35k of repair/depreciation to get it to perfect condition. Never sold a boat to someone who didn’t begin the conversation trying to arrange a time to check it out. Once again just my opinion and feedback. You buy how you buy. I don’t even have anything for sale currently.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just sent this to my brother yesterday! Looks like a killer deal!!

A lot of scams on CL that's probably one of them. They want your email I believe.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Care to elaborate on a title change? Please educate me. What don’t you understand reading within this thread?
Title - Information/Details to facilitate selling and buying a used boat.
Etiquette - here are some other words that show what etiquette is -
Etiquette deals with social norms. You are talking technical information. Maybe its semantics but from your title I expected to see a thread about the do's and don'ts of buying a used boat. Things like don't be a tire kicker or how to deal with tire kickers. Things like that.

·
God Bless
311 Posts

well truly from reading what you said here, I see that this subject would not pertain to you. You seem like a very thorough and detailed seller. My comprehension of what the original poster was merely saying is, if you post a boat for sale show the details along with it - pretty simple.
now on your comment about being a seller I’ve been there plenty of times through the years. And I am extremely detailed from jump street. (Again as the post was trying to say) So when I do get a lowball offer it’s a simple as no thank you. Everything is laid out. Will I answer other questions? Sure! That’s part of SELLING. you can’t blame someone for wanting to know a little bit of history they don’t know who you are and what you’ve done with the product on hand. I refuse to be upset about anyone trying to buy something when I have “the only one” of that particular thing.
That’s business no matter where you go or what you’re selling. Buyers want the best price, sellers want top dollar. If you are confident in what you’re selling be detailed and don’t try to hide junk.
You want top dollar then show it we have all the means (technology) in the world to be very thorough now a days of you want that money? Sell it home boy . 😜

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Title - Information/Details to facilitate selling and buying a used boat.
Etiquette - here are some other words that show what etiquette is -
Etiquette deals with social norms. You are talking technical information. Maybe its semantics but from your title I expected to see a thread about the do's and don'ts of buying a used boat. Things like don't be a tire kicker or how to deal with tire kickers. Things like that.
Haha it’s a forum Scuba Steve, pump the brakes.... FYI Sage rods suck ;) p.s. lay off the Vienna sausages, they’re bad for you

·
Registered
284 Posts
A whole lot of minding other people’s business in this thread. Why bother? If you’re buying or selling a used boat you’re gonna have to pay attention and ask/answer plenty of questions. That includes dealing with some dumb-asses, tire kickers and scammers. From either side, if you think it’ll all be laid out just the way you want, you will be sorely disappointed.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What gets me are questions that show the person has no idea what they are looking for. I screen these out and don't even bother.

But giving as much detail possible helps. My last for sale ad was very detailed for a reason - to reduce back and forth questions.

·
Carpe Diem
1,778 Posts
I'm expecting this message to kick a bee hive with some of you but most will appreciate what is said here. A good friend experienced in the skiff industry that has A LOT more experience with me helped me out with getting this out there. I've been through marine mechanic school so I have SOME knowledge to provide.

I'm in the market of buying a used skiff, so along the way i've noticed a few troublesome encounters and I'll share some textbook questions a buyer should ask.
All good ideas, but in the real world, things happen quickly and most times a good deal on a good used boat will be gone before you can arrange for marine mechanics/surveyors, perfect photos, printouts and compression checks. For a chance of scoring a good deal, you need to get there fast with cash and have the basic knowledge to make a decision about motors and hulls. Do your own compression check. It's usually a bad idea to travel any great distance for a used boat. If the boat is a good one, chances are it will sell before you get to it. Never, ever commit to a deal before you have a chance to personally inspect the boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
774 Posts
When I went to buy my current skiff, I looked at it an decided it was priced to high for the condition it was in. The seller asked me why I did not make him an offer and I told him I did not want to insult him. I asked him if he wanted me to honest with him and he said yes. I walked around the boat and showed him everything that needed to be fixed or replaced and then made him an offer for several thousand less than his asking price. I think it worked out well for both of us.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Here are some etiquette tips.

Buyer: Don't express interest in a boat and arrange to see if. Then don't show up or call to let seller know.
Seller: Don't agree to sell to person A. Then person B comes along and offers you more so you sell it to them. A deal is a deal.
Buyer: Don't agree to buy a boat for a price then when you show up say that you could only come up with a lesser amount.
Seller: Don't overstate the condition of your boat. Fine to make your case but don't if its got a lot of oyster rash for example then just tell prosepctive buyers. Especially for somebody willing to come from some distance to check it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok snow flake.....go back to HS english.....lol
When I went to buy my current skiff, I looked at it an decided it was priced to high for the condition it was in. The seller asked me why I did not make him an offer and I told him I did not want to insult him. I asked him if he wanted me to honest with him and he said yes. I walked around the boat and showed him everything that needed to be fixed or replaced and then made him an offer for several thousand less than his asking price. I think it worked out well for both of us.
That's awesome it worked out Steve! Communication is huge! I don't go into a sale looking to reduce the price of the boat.... It's got to be fair and reasonable no doubt! I'm certainly learning!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts