Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expecting this message to kick a bee hive with some of you but most will appreciate what is said here. A good friend experienced in the skiff industry that has A LOT more experience with me helped me out with getting this out there. I've been through marine mechanic school so I have SOME knowledge to provide.

I'm in the market of buying a used skiff, so along the way i've noticed a few troublesome encounters and I'll share some textbook questions a buyer should ask.

Boat: What owner # are you (original owner?)
Hull pictures
Transom Pictures
Hull History (repairs made or current issues)

Items that might need attention (lights\gauges & etc)

Motor: Hours to date
Under cowling pictures
Compression test (pictures providing gauge reading each cylinder)
Tilt & trim area (pictures)
Computer scan & print out of engine history (will show current hours, overheat alarms etc)
Speeds and what RPM's associated
Original Motor?

Trailer: Pictures
Current status
Components that need replacing\have been replaced

"Most" folks here in microskiff instill pride & ownership in their investment and it shows when it comes time to move on. These skiffs are "skinny water" skiffs. So it's important to get the boats history especially since the motor is the heartbeat of the boat....Some people will travel hundreds of miles and countless hours to buy a used boat from 5k to 55k so nobody wants a surprise. Honesty & transparency is important, sellers credibility is compromised if they're not providing ignoring the buyer when questioned about "textbook" items.... If this offends you, fix the issue... Be responsible! If the boat is all set and the buyer is attempting to bargain the price based on minor corrosion or a stain, that's being petty, be honest..... It's a used boat and that can be fixed pretty easy.

Hopefully you find this helpful. Feel free to add to this.

Respectfully.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
445 Posts
I generally agree with everything you have said. And especially don't like surprises. The truth is the used boat market is so hot at the moment, it's allowing sellers to be lazy and still sell quickly and for top dollar.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I generally agree with everything you have said. And especially don't like surprises. The truth is the used boat market is so hot at the moment, it's allowing sellers to be lazy and still sell quickly and for top dollar.
If the buyer is willing to risk that and/or able to do the repairs yes.... agree 100%

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Most everyone here are great and honest folks. I have yet to have a bad buying experience! As mentioned, a lot of the “lazy” ads are from first time posters. Many of which “IMO” are dealer salesmen with a slow day trying to list the product in as many free places as they can. Same happens on CL and frankly, I stopped looking at CL ads a long time ago unless someone forwards them to me.
Side note: It is well well worth the price of a marine tech. and or surveyor to look over a boat for you prior to traveling long distances. As a tech. I charge $125 plus $100 hr for an inspection of a vessel/motor within 25 miles of Homosassa. And write up a full report of my findings.

·
Brandon, FL
10,732 Posts
The title is about SELLING

Your post is about being an informed buyer.

Two completely different mentalities.

Don't forget- few people are honest and ethical anymore so Selling Etiquette is quickly becoming an oxymoron.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most everyone here are great and honest folks. I have yet to have a bad buying experience! As mentioned, a lot of the “lazy” ads are from first time posters. Many of which “IMO” are dealer salesmen with a slow day trying to list the product in as many free places as they can. Same happens on CL and frankly, I stopped looking at CL ads a long time ago unless someone forwards them to me.
Side note: It is well well worth the price of a marine tech. and or surveyor to look over a boat for you prior to traveling long distances. As a tech. I charge $125 plus $100 hr for an inspection of a vessel/motor within 25 miles of Homosassa. And write up a full report of my findings.
100% agree with ya. Definitely not insinuating that..... I'm just trying to help a buyer out that may not know the right questions to ask and when, know what I mean? What's 125.00 an hour to spending 5-55k on a boat? It's peace of mind for your investment....God knows how much you'll put into it years down the road haha..... Just my opinion....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The title is about SELLING

Your post is about being an informed buyer.

Two completely different mentalities.

Don't forget- few people are honest and ethical anymore so Selling Etiquette is quickly becoming an oxymoron.
I'm not the best at writing.... IF you read what I wrote, you will understand the point.......... I guess it hits a little on both subjects.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can ya imagine if the moderator changed the requirements on posting a used boat other than a definite price, location and contact info.....

·
God Bless
318 Posts
I'm expecting this message to kick a bee hive with some of you but most will appreciate what is said here. A good friend experienced in the skiff industry that has A LOT more experience with me helped me out with getting this out there. I've been through marine mechanic school so I have SOME knowledge to provide.

I'm in the market of buying a used skiff, so along the way i've noticed a few troublesome encounters and I'll share some textbook questions a buyer should ask.

Boat: What owner # are you (original owner?)
Hull pictures
Transom Pictures
Hull History (repairs made or current issues)

Items that might need attention (lights\gauges & etc)

Motor: Hours to date
Under cowling pictures
Compression test (pictures providing gauge reading each cylinder)
Tilt & trim area (pictures)
Computer scan & print out of engine history (will show current hours, overheat alarms etc)
Speeds and what RPM's associated
Original Motor?

Trailer: Pictures
Current status
Components that need replacing\have been replaced

"Most" folks here in microskiff instill pride & ownership in their investment and it shows when it comes time to move on. These skiffs are "skinny water" skiffs. So it's important to get the boats history especially since the motor is the heartbeat of the boat....Some people will travel hundreds of miles and countless hours to buy a used boat from 5k to 55k so nobody wants a surprise. Honesty & transparency is important, sellers credibility is compromised if they're not providing ignoring the buyer when questioned about "textbook" items.... If this offends you, fix the issue... Be responsible! If the boat is all set and the buyer is attempting to bargain the price based on minor corrosion or a stain, that's being petty, be honest..... It's a used boat and that can be fixed pretty easy.

Hopefully you find this helpful. Feel free to add to this.

Respectfully.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just saw @DBStoots post and def expands upon the subject of buying the used boat..... I'm sure others have written great write-ups as well so at this point i'm just bringing sand to the beach. Wanted to shed more light on this....

·
God Bless
318 Posts
110% agree here!

Some folks wanna sell on some “don’t low ball me and “needs to be gone” but don’t and sometimes won’t do the work to make the sale. All this selling and buying through text messaging crap, answer the phone. We all know pictures don’t show everything so don’t try to hide it. Show someone what they “lowballing” on then you can complain about it. Don’t take one picture and talk about low ball offers. Be thorough real easy .

A seller who is confident in his investment makes me a buyer who is confident in investing.

Plain and simple. There are standard practices in selling and buying. But the seller needs to have the jump on informing the market. first off, about anything detrimental to the operation or structure. No sweat stuff happens, these skiffs are put through the skinny where traps linger, but let me see if it can be fixed and or, get the idea in my head of a price to fix if I cannot. Don’t let anyone drive 8-12 hrs for you to surprise me with “oh yeah that” BS.

Great post !

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1996 Scout 192 Sportfish
4,967 Posts
Great topic. Thanks for starting it. I'm selling my boat the the biggest issue I have are low ball offers. I spent the weekend going back and forth with a buyer for a couple hours via email. Answered all his questions. sent more pictures only to be told drop your price 35% and I'll consider buying your boat.... seriously?!>!>!

The truth is the used boat market is so hot at the moment, it's allowing sellers to be lazy and still sell quickly and for top dollar.
Not in all cases....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great topic. Thanks for starting it. I'm selling my boat the the biggest issue I have are low ball offers. I spent the weekend going back and forth with a buyer for a couple hours via email. Answered all his questions. sent more pictures only to be told drop your price 35% and I'll consider buying your boat.... seriously?!>!>!

Not in all cases....
Oh that's crappy, I missed out on a great boat. The seller provided EVERYTHING and if he didn't at the moment, he told me he would the same day...... I missed the sale by someone that venmo'd that night.... Next time I'll offer a down payment.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Good post. Title is wrong. This has zero to do with "etiquette" either buying or selling.

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1996 Scout 192 Sportfish
4,967 Posts
No, you don't want one of those... LOL ;)

Great topic none the less. Best of luck in finding your next skiff.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 56 Posts