Upstate river fishing

Discussion in 'Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina' started by Atomic, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Atomic

Atomic Well-Known Member

Hey guys, recently moved to upstate SC about eight miles from the NC border and am having a bit of culture shock as far as available water ways and fishing as opposed to southwest Florida. I have visited Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee and it has been... less than fulfilling so to speak! I was wondering if any of y'all could point me in the direction of a river that's not shallow and strewn with boulders I can take the boat on, I know there is the Santee in SC but it's rather far. I'd be ok making a day trip out of going to any of the neighboring states of ga nc or tn. Any fishing advice is also appreciated as I have no idea how it's done here! Thanks in advance :)

2. Boykintom

Boykintom I Love microskiff.com!

You might consider the Saluda River south of Newberry. Some sections have some rocks, but many stretches do not. You do have to be careful about snags and logs in some areas, though.

3. flysalt060

flysalt060 I Love microskiff.com!

Lake hartwell. Stripers should be starting to school up and chase bait.and the green bass hang under them. Lake burton has some good fishing.

4. SC Bill

SC Bill Active Member

If northwest of GSP, probably best to take up wading mountain streams fly fishing for trout. Some absolutely beautiful fishing opportunities in the mountains of SC and western NC. I fly fish a lot in Graham County, NC. Lots of great trout streams. Of course, local knowledge is everything.

If you decide to go this route, best to get a guide first time or two out. Roger Lowe is from Waynesville, NC (went to high school with my wife). Very knowledgeable and an excellent guide. Even had his own fly shop for over 10 years in Waynesville. Scroll down to guides and info.

Some of the very best fly fishing is in the Great Smokey Mountains NP north of Fontana Lake. Take a boat take across Fontana Lake, hike along the creek into Great Smokey Mountains NP, camping while fishing mountains streams. Hazel Creek is at the top of list! But equally great fishing along other creeks.

Day trip...head east to the Black River and the Great or Little Pee Dee Rivers. No rocks, but lots of cypress knees you have to watch for.

I went to school at Clemson and never did get the hang of fishing man-made lakes and down-stream rivers from same. But Lake Jocassee is a beautiful area!

Not exactly what you asked for...but what I found to be the most enjoyable fishing the area offers.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    bryson and bjtripp83 like this.
  5. Atomic

Atomic Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, really appreciate the local insight! I have heard from multiple sources that the trout fishing here is top notch, that being said I've never fly fished though I am not opposed to it. While lakes Jocassee and keowee are very pretty, they just did not do it for me. I'd definitely go back and camp on the islands for a weekend but that's about all the intrigue they hold for me, though Jocassee holds the state records for a number of different species of fish. I do definitely want to go to Hartwell and will look into Burton as well.

SC Bill, from what relative little I've seen hiking in upstate SC and western NC I can certainly see how mountain stream fishing is king. I suppose I will have to expand my angling approach, which is not necessarily a negative thing.

6. RCR

RCR Active Member

It really depends on what you're looking for. You mentioned bowfishing to me before, so try going way up river on some of those lakes like murray. Lots of carp and gar. The name of the game at most of those lakes is spotted bass and striper (which I know sucks compared to south florida). The bass fishing is night and day compared to florida in those deep clear lakes. All of those lakes are excellent for what they have to offer though. Cant talk anything about the mountain trout fishing but I hear its excellent if that's what you're into. There are a ton of rivers that feed into the coast and are full of gar and bowfin, but to get to navigable waters I'd say you really need to get east of 95. I know it's far but If you get the chance and time, take some weekend trips to Charleston/mt. pleasant area for the reds! Good Luck!

7. Atomic

Atomic Well-Known Member

I've been pretty disappointed as I have a brand new fishing bow completely outfitted and have not had a chance to use it. Lake Murray is an easy hour and a half south of me, which would be a solid day trip but not something I could do regularly. The mountain lakes Jocassee and Keowee are an hour but ive been told they'd take your boat over using a cast net for bait so I imagine the house would be gone if you got caught with a bow. I've gone to a few different "rivers" for trout and all the fish I've seen are more remeniscent of finger mullet than a game fish LOL oh boy... I did catch a nice spotted bass at Hartwell, unbeknownst to me at the time it was actually quite a nice fish for the area. I let it go thinking it might not be big enough. My next trip is definitely centered around spending a few days on the coast where the salt is at, for sure!

8. RCR

RCR Active Member

yeah my friend asked me to trout fish with him once, said he caught a couple 8-10" inchers the day before and was pumped.... pass haha. You're definitely not in the right location, but ask around about musky. I know they are there but very few target them. They kept me sane when I lived in the va mountains. Nothing easy about them, but it is a helluva rush to catch them on a 10wt. It's a challenge, and it's addicting. They're like freshwater barracudas.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ors-muskie-fishing-nearby-adventure/70209024/

Atomic and bryson like this.
  9. bryson

bryson I Love microskiff.com!

That's really interesting! My wife is from Greenville, and we wander up into the SC/NC mountains every once in a while, so I'm pretty curious about fishing some of the coldwater streams up there. The idea of finding muskies is pretty awesome!

That being said, I don't think I would mind catching small trout either -- I just want to check some new species out.

10. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Time to move back to Sarasota atomic I moved to southern Georgia for a few years back in the mid 1990s was never happier than when I got back to the salt country.

11. jonterr

jonterr I Love microskiff.com!

I live in NE Ga
    I'm 30 min from Burton
    My Bro in law actually bought a place up there last year, so I've been able to spend some time up there, first off, I love fishing, but I wouldn't consider myself a fisherman.
    If u like sight fishing, the best luck I've had is being on the water before daylight, get in an area whete they are chasing shad, on top water, throw a top water lure, that's the most fun, and about the only thing I've been successful at!

12. Doublehaul

Doublehaul Well-Known Member

I think Topwater stripers on Murray or Hartwell would be more to your liking coming from a saltwater back round. You're pretty close to Hartwell. As far as bow hunting, you may want to look at the Santee Cooper lakes.

13. Atomic

Atomic Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I do have a fairly skeptical eye hearing people talk about a ten inch fish as something more boastful than bait... a man I work with was quite proud of catching a few bream the size of his hand. Are you kidding me.

There are a few things I miss about Florida, and all of them are salt water related. The rest can go. I do love it here in the mountains, did I mention I have a bear living in my back yard? I would certainly live back in Florida over South Georgia a thousand times over, honestly the state is just not for me.

RCR, Hendersonville is a half hour away from me and I am in the northern reaches of Greenville county, muskies sound a lot more appetitizing than these creek trout!

14. bryson

bryson I Love microskiff.com!

I feel like I could enjoy stream fishing, mostly since I enjoy hiking. When it's about the overall experience as much as the actual fish, then a secluded creek in the mountains has a similar allure to a saltwater flat in the middle of nowhere.

I've never caught a trout myself, but they seem to be beautiful fish from everything I've seen. I can't imagine they would put up a great fight, but it would still be cool to see some new species (at least for a while). I believe we even have a few smallies in the state, though I couldn't tell you where to start looking. I've heard that a 1# smallmouth will fight as hard as a 5# brown, but I don't know if that's really accurate.

Not sure if I could get overly excited about pond fishing for bream and bass, though. It's fun, but that's the kind of stuff you do when your boat is broken or when you only have a half-hour to fish on your lunch break :D

Atomic likes this.
  15. bjtripp83

bjtripp83 I Love microskiff.com!

Jocassee and broad river above Columbia have smallies. Lake Murray and saluda below and congaree have stripers, more of a spring fishery when they run up current to spawn. I'd say find your closest trout unlimited group. One I'm columbia, where dnr stocks Browns and rainbows yearly in the lower saluda. Survivors can get up around 10 lb. Imagine there's an upstate group.

16. Atomic

Atomic Well-Known Member

I also truly enjoy hiking, this area is a paradise for it especially with all the water falls. There's so many that I don't even need to compromise and choose trails without one! The dogs love it even more than I do, however they are literally impossible to fish with. I am not an avid fly fisher but my man is and he has had the best luck on the Saluda off highway 11, however we have also checked out the green river in a couple different spots as well. Personally, I'm looking most forward to crappie fishing in the spring.. mmm!

17. RCR

RCR Active Member

I drove over the Broad river this weekend. Definitely looked like you could get a boat on it and sure did look like it would hold musky. It only takes having one of those toothy beasts following a 12" fly to come down with the fever!
    IMG_3413.jpg IMG_4908.png

bryson and Atomic like this.