Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my LT25 for about a year and love the skinny water/ back country fishing I do with it. I’m wanting to upgrade to a slightly larger skiff (I’m 6’4”, 250) to continue fishing my areas. 2 boats I’m interested in are Beavertails Micro & possibly the mosquito.... my question is; has anyone made that exact upgrade? I have a scheduled “wet test” June 18th and I’m just doing some homework until then. The micro is 4” wider and supposedly can handle chop A LOT better than a LT25, not sure if it’s that much more of a boat to make the move... Mosquito might be a lil too much for me by solo fishing.... MIGHT.... BT is literally 20 mins away and is a great security blanket. Appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
24 Posts
I’ve had my LT25 for about a year and love the skinny water/ back country fishing I do with it. I’m wanting to upgrade to a slightly larger skiff (I’m 6’4”, 250) to continue fishing my areas. 2 boats I’m interested in are Beavertails Micro & possibly the mosquito.... my question is; has anyone made that exact upgrade? I have a scheduled “wet test” June 18th and I’m just doing some homework until then. The micro is 4” wider and supposedly can handle chop A LOT better than a LT25, not sure if it’s that much more of a boat to make the move... Mosquito might be a lil too much for me by solo fishing.... MIGHT.... BT is literally 20 mins away and is a great security blanket. Appreciate the feedback
Did nearly the same thing, went from an lt25 to a beavertail strike but fish out of a mosquito quite often. I have never been on a micro but I can tell you it will be a night and day difference from the lt25 which has a complete flat bottom and no spray rails or any type of flare to push away spray. I've heard the micro and mosquito run very similarly in chop, the mosquito will just be more stable have more space and draft slightly more then the micro

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,363 Posts
I went from my custom 20 flats boat to a tiller model BT Micro when I retired from guiding. I wanted something light and with a super-skinny draft. While it was tippy and required some coordination, the Micro poled like a dart and was very impressive in an open water chop. A close friend has a LT25 and there's a world of difference in running performance. I've fished with him a few times for real world comparisons and he agrees. The Micro could also get as skinny as the Gheenoe.

I wasn't a big fan of the tiller, though and the cooler cradle/helm pod really ate up cockpit real estate. When the Mosquito came out, I sold the Micro and had a side console Mosquito built to replace it. Couldn't be happier. It poles very well, handles a chop even better than the Micro because of length/beam and I fish it everywhere I used to with either the 20-footer or the Micro. Love the open cockpit with side console. Most of my fishing is solo or with my big dog and the Mosquito was really a worthwhile upgrade for my style of fishing. If you decide on the Micro, my recommendation would be to keep it as simple as possible to take full advantage of its capabilities.

With both skiffs, the Beavertail buying experience was superb. Will and Liz take great pride in their company and they treat every customer like a member of the family. There are multiple owners on here who have had similar experiences and the fact that the factory is so close makes it even more convenient for you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions. By the way, I'm 6'3" and weigh about 225, so we're comparable in terms of body size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok
I went from my custom 20 flats boat to a tiller model BT Micro when I retired from guiding. I wanted something light and with a super-skinny draft. While it was tippy and required some coordination, the Micro poled like a dart and was very impressive in an open water chop. A close friend has a LT25 and there's a world of difference in running performance. I've fished with him a few times for real world comparisons and he agrees. The Micro could also get as skinny as the Gheenoe.

I wasn't a big fan of the tiller, though and the cooler cradle/helm pod really ate up cockpit real estate. When the Mosquito came out, I sold the Micro and had a side console Mosquito built to replace it. Couldn't be happier. It poles very well, handles a chop even better than the Micro because of length/beam and I fish it everywhere I used to with either the 20-footer or the Micro. Love the open cockpit with side console. Most of my fishing is solo or with my big dog and the Mosquito was really a worthwhile upgrade for my style of fishing. If you decide on the Micro, my recommendation would be to keep it as simple as possible to take full advantage of its capabilities.

With both skiffs, the Beavertail buying experience was superb. Will and Liz take great pride in their company and they treat every customer like a member of the family. There are multiple owners on here who have had similar experiences and the fact that the factory is so close makes it even more convenient for you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions. By the way, I'm 6'3" and weigh about 225, so we're comparable in terms of body size.

Ok right on. I was thinking the mosquito might be a lil too much for just myself...10,000 jump right off the bat to consider a mosquito.... maybe if I found one used but I’m stuck on the micro for the time being.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,363 Posts
The Micro is a great skiff. If I did one again, I would do a side console or eliminate the cooler cradle and helm on a tiller. Used Micros pop up every once in awhile. Same for the Mosquitos, but since they haven't been out too long asking prices are still higher than the pre-owned Micros.

Have fun with the test ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Micro is a great skiff. If I did one again, I would do a side console or eliminate the cooler cradle and helm on a tiller. Used Micros pop up every once in awhile. Same for the Mosquitos, but since they haven't been out too long asking prices are still higher than the pre-owned Micros.

Have fun with the test ride!
I mainly fly fish.... All open boat is what I want.... Even worse the BT place is 20 mins away from home haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts