Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I currently have a gheenoe lt 10 with a 9.9hp.Mostly fish flamingo both sides, and from time to time biscayne bay and south west florida. Usually myself and fishing partner who are both satisfied with our current set up most days. Dont plan on going out anyday with winds expected to be over 15 knots regardless of setup.However have gone out on days that start out calm and have changed to being less than ideal on the return.Looking for thoughts on a boat that can still leave all the same water accessible (like getting pretty skinny in the bights) but will be able to handle unexpected chop on returns better than what we currently are running and perhaps open up biscayne fishing some.Also something that could make solo trips an option.Have had a couple trips returning from whitewater bay that have been rough. Fish both fly and spinning without any complaints from the gheenoe.Looking for something in the 16' range that can fit in the garage.Speed isnt a big deal as we currently get about 17mph fully loaded but not opposed to faster.Willing to spend around 15k if I find something that would be more comfortable and fits needs.Would love to read your thoughts and suggestions.Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
91 Posts
Lots of options in that range, you might be able to find a used Beavertail Micro or east cape glide in that range. Definitely several of ankonas models will fit that bill as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Take a look at at Towee Calusa - right in your price range and parameters. There is a Towee Owners thread on Microskiff that you can read various intel. I've had 2 (currently have my 2nd) and have been pleased with it's versatility in your stated price range...

·
Registered
358 Posts
You could find a Mitzi or something similar (Dolphin, Ankona, etc). I had an Ankona Native, great boat and poled well. I have an Alumacraft 1648 MV now while building a skiff and its just as capable and I have 3K in it. I'd suggest going to mod V jon boat route only if you don't pole. They wont track quite like a skiff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! Looking at the ankonas new aren't bad what would you guys think between the native and the shadowcast? Also anyone have any insight on the gladesman how they handle in chop and hold up? Not a big fan of the look of the towee boats personally. Skimmer skiffs? So many makers its hard to choose a direction.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,983 Posts
X2 for the Glide. I fished one for a couple months while waiting on my new skiff and that boat will surprise you with how well it takes choppy water.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! Looking at the ankonas new aren't bad what would you guys think between the native and the shadowcast? Also anyone have any insight on the gladesman how they handle in chop and hold up? Not a big fan of the look of the towee boats personally. Skimmer skiffs? So many makers its hard to choose a direction.
I would go native over a lot the others mentioned. The native has a aggressive bow and cuts chop. I had it in some nasty stuff. the Shadowcast might be a little better to pole, but not as good in nasty water. Gladesmans are tippy don't handle chop much to any better than the LT10 you have. Skimmer skiffs are good options. I think the Ankonas are better build quality though. Honestly the Towees are bas ass rigs. A little overpriced for what they are though.

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
91 Posts
Ankona will be coming out with a new small skiff soon that replaced the shadow shadowcast 16 called the caicos that might be right in your wheelhouse. Better in chop because of spray rails, and wider beam for better stability, nothing on their website yet but I'm sure if you contacted them they would give you more info. There are a couple of posts on here about it as well about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again looking at alot now hard to decide.I like the glide and native both options look good.And seen a few good deals locally on skimmer skiffs,any comparison how they handle chop? Should they be a serious consideration?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.