Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
seems like if you hook a tarpon in that area the tarpon is going to get butchered. that would be a shame.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
We catch them bottom fishing in the pamlico sound region. Never seen or heard of one butchered yet Crabbers caught first one in a ‘pound net , I think it was in 1976. Mid seventies for sure. Local Rotary club held a tarpon release tourney for 20 years. Best tourney ,early 90s , we released 55 in 2 days

had a tagging program to coincide, furthest re caught was Cuba. Over 200 lbs

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
but if you're fishing for tarpon where you repeatedly catch big hammerheads you're going to get a tarpon hammered by one. no? happens all the time in boca grande. its a mess.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
its funny I see large schools of tarpon with 6 to 7 ft bullsharks that swim around with them like they're part of the pod. is it pod or school?

·
Registered
55 Posts
[QUOTE="devrep, post: 799608, member: 1633" like they're part of the pod. is it pod or school?[/QUOTE]

I just call groups of anything a herd. People with any sense of humor grin at it. The rest can take a flying leap. TH with all that b.s. about gaggle of this, murder of that. Who came up with all that nonsense, anyway ??

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,419 Posts
but if you're fishing for tarpon where you repeatedly catch big hammerheads you're going to get a tarpon hammered by one. no? happens all the time in boca grande. its a mess.
mess is polite!

·
Registered
83 Posts
its funny I see large schools of tarpon with 6 to 7 ft bullsharks that swim around with them like they're part of the pod. is it pod or school?
You can see this every night at Caribe Hilton in San Juan. They shine a light on the water, top layer are large tarpon with bulls swimming 5' beneath them. I figured the bulls pick up scraps of whatever the poons eat but who knows...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think the bulls are just waiting for an opportunity like an exhausted tarpon being released at a boat. just speculation.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've fish a marina in the Bahamas for Bonefish & always see large Bull Sharks follow the charter boats back to port for any easy meal of scraps. Could be the same thing happening at the Hilton.
Never seen a Tarpon in that marina.....ICM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts