Type of resin/fiberglass

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by redfish5, May 20, 2012.

  1. redfish5

    redfish5 I Love microskiff.com!

    I started a thread a little while back about fixing a crack in the keel of a river hawk. Well I finally removed the front bench seat and too my surprise, the false floor stopped on each side of the bench. So luckily I have easy access to the crack from the inside out. For this repair I looked at the uscomposites website. Should I order the 635 thin epoxy resin with medium hardner, and 7 1/2 oz e glass fiberglass cloth? I want the repair to be as strong as possible. Thanks.
  2. jms

    jms don't let common sense get in your way

    without seeing the p[roduct you're working on,this is gonna be a little tough...

    that matting,it's not a really a matting i've usedbefore...

    normally,when repairing cracks,the cracked area is ground into a dish shape,tapering out towards the surrounding areas - both sides of the hull - inside and out,if the hull's thin,it may be best to grind the crack to the point the surrounding area's actually open -tape a piece of gloss formica,to either the inside,or the outside,lay up the matting,till it's higher than the surrounding area - let it kick,peel off the formica,grind it on the other side,and lay up matting the same way - grind both sides down to the same height as the surrounding areas...

Similar Threads Forum Date
Introduction....I bought my first boat in 1985 and have had soe type of boat every since. Introduce Yourself Jun 1, 2017
2 types of fly fisherman... Fly Fishing Apr 18, 2017
A Different Type of Skiff Trip Part 2: East Okefenokee Swamp General Discussion Dec 2, 2016
A Different Type of Skiff Trip General Discussion Nov 27, 2016
SOLD/EXPIRED WTB Mitzi or Pathfinder Type of Flats Boat Sold/Expired Classifieds Aug 11, 2016