Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts
The best improvement I have found in spinning deer hair is to use G.S.P. thread. It is very strong and you can torque down on it without breaking. Just make sure you pack it as much as possible. Cut with an old style two edge razor for shaving, you can bend it into a shape. There are plenty of videos on youtube and if you use the GSP thread it will be easier.

· Registered
554 Posts
I've got several of those old ball points - each in a different size - very handy for packing hair, moving a half hitch on your thread up under flared out hair, etc... The best part is that they're free... Years and years ago before fly fishing got popular we simply didn't have access, mostly, to the tools we wanted so you learned to make your own...
I think we cripple ourselves with these tools. Those guys back in the day tied with just their hands and no vise, no bobbin cradle. Hell most people think you need special scissors when any small sewing scissors will work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.