Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,001 Posts
I’ve found over the years that deer belly hair is much easier to spin than what most use for spinning hair...

Once you’ve spun and packed your hair the best tool for cutting and shaping deer hair is a brand new double edged razor blade - nothing’s better. I always very carefully crack mine in half lengthwise, creating two blades to cut with (grab an end in the middle with a small pair of nippers then bend the razor back and forth until each end cracks so you only have one sharp edge to use).

The very thin steel in a double edged blade slices through hair like it was butter. The moment the blade no longer slices cleanly - replace it...

Be careful those thin blades will slice into you just as easily...

· Registered
6,001 Posts
I've got several of those old ball points - each in a different size - very handy for packing hair, moving a half hitch on your thread up under flared out hair, etc... The best part is that they're free... Years and years ago before fly fishing got popular we simply didn't have access, mostly, to the tools we wanted so you learned to make your own...

· Registered
6,001 Posts
for Karstopo... that's why the first thing I do with a double edged razor blade is crack it in half... That makes it much safer to work with, having two single blades to use one at a time...

and for Snakesurf - I agree that less "tools" is the way to go. I was a commercial tyer for many years (1979 to just a few years ago) as well as a commercial bucktail maker so I learned long ago to do everything with the fewest tools possible since it speeds up your work product. For spinning hair though a packer is very handy.. I must admit, though, the one type of bug I never wanted to do for any shop was something that involved spinning hair. It just takes me too long to do right so I always declined those patterns when I was doing it for money.... Here's a pic of one of the patterns that I never made for any shop...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.