Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still new at tying so be gentle....but with poon season right around the corner I decided I am going to focus my tying attention on tying some poon flies. I have the hooks, the thread, the marabou, and the rabbit strips for a tail (I believe)....so my question is what do I use for the head? I know EP fibers are popular but what about craft fur? I have plenty of that in various colors. Also the rabbit strips I have seem to be a little on the small side in terms of the amount of "bushy-ness".....what does everyone use for the tail other than marabou. Thanks!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,145 Posts
I prefer all marabou for the tails when tying toads as it won’t get as water logged as the strips.

Craft fur absorbs water more so than ep or Congo hair( cheaper alternative) and is much much harder to get to make a head like that cause the material tapers which means one side of your toad is going to end up wonky looking.

I would find the right materials.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I prefer the EP, I probably wouldn't tie the head with the craft fur. It would be really difficult to get it symmetric.

The first tarpon I actually fought for 50 min was on my own tied toad with a rabbit strip tail with a marabou skirt if you will. Can't go wrong with either rabbit or marabou.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maribou tail, crosscut rabbit collar and ep head with mono eyes
What is cross cut rabbit collar? Remember I'm new at this so I'm trying to learn the material lingo.

Reactions: duppyzafari

·
Registered
206 Posts
What is cross cut rabbit collar? Remember I'm new at this so I'm trying to learn the material lingo.
Crosscut rabbit is a type of rabbit strip cut in the opposite direction of regular rabbit strips, so that the hair lays back when palmered (wrapped around the hook). He is saying to use a piece of crosscut rabbit strip to make a collar for the fly by wrapping it in front of the marabou tail.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crosscut rabbit is a type of rabbit strip cut in the opposite direction of regular rabbit strips, so that the hair lays back when palmered (wrapped around the hook). He is saying to use a piece of crosscut rabbit strip to make a collar for the fly by wrapping it in front of the marabou tail.
Can you also use marabou for that as well?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
385 Posts
Marabou tail, EP Brush collar, EP Fiber body.

Not the traditional recipe, for sure, but using synthetic materials avoids water logging and helps with a softer landing.

Your first few will be ugly, but you'll get the hang of it and crank them out with ease, thereafter. The body segment technique is terrific for crab bodies, as well, so it's a good one to learn.
toads.jpg

·
Registered
281 Posts
Plenty of options for tying toads out there. The question is why use one material vs another?

Tails are generally marabou or rabbit strips. Rabbit strips are super easy and effective. Particularly when tied in hide side up they'll show fish some good movement. The downside is they'll foul easily and when the hide gets saturated it gets heavy. Marabou on the other hand is light and displays an incredible motion in the water. I like marabou better.

The collar basically just fills in the gap, and adds some contrast color. Crosscut rabbit is nice but there's that weight of the hide to consider again. Ep brushes work well and the wire doesn't weigh much. Palmering a second marabou feather is also an option with the same benefits mentioned before.

The head on toad flies is probably the best part of the whole fly. If I remember correctly the originals used polypropylene yarn. The idea is having a material that doesn't absorb water and make a front heavy fly. Ep fibers work well because they share that trait. Between that and the way the material is tied in and/or trimmed to make a flat head the fly will suspend when left alone and plane through the water when stripped. Then the marabou tail will just wiggle in the current.

Here's the last toad I tied
20180119_190406.jpg

20180119_190350.jpg
Next batch I think I'll use a different brush and ditch the plastic bead chain in favor of regular mono eyes. This one is okay but a bit nose heavy. Color wise, who knows. Chartreuse with a yellow collar is classic. Black and purple, tan and sand, etc..

Anyway, experiment and most importantly go swim them. Don't get carried away trying up a bunch till you know they do what you want them to do IN THE WATER.

Have fun!

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just ordered some Congo hair in a bunch of colors. Definitely cheaper than EP. We will see how it goes....

Reactions: permitchaser
1 - 20 of 74 Posts