Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recommendations for getting tying materials.

I haven't had a problem with Waspi materials but this package of deer hair cost just under $8.00 and is but 4" X 4' patch of fur. I don't blame Waspi because of the vender selling the product but ...
such a small amount might only make a dozen flies.

On the other hand with inflation etc and I seldom need to buy what I consider basic materials has the price gone up this much?

I had to use my fly line scale because it wouldn't register on my ounce scale.
This weighs 136 GN (grains) or 1/51 of a pound.

Food Packing materials Ingredient Plastic wrap Electric blue

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Things are tough all over - in the natural materials world... Seems that's just one more side effect of our covid years... Deertails (and related deer fur products) have gotten scarce and those in the business of buying, processing, then dyeing and packaging natural materials are having a tough time right now... I buy in wholesale quantities for my lure making and fly tying needs and it's tough right now. As for a shop that buys pre-packaged goods - that even come with their shop's name on them... then doubles the price at retail (or higher...)... that's a hard way to stay profitable. I'm very glad Chico Fernandez sat me down more than 30 years ago now and spelled out the financial side of owning and running a fly shop... The info he provided was directly responsible for me choosing to take up guiding - all those years ago...

Here's an idea... we'll make a small fortune in the tackle business ! First we'll start with a large fortune...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that tying materials are getting a bit ridiculous. Lately I have chosen 3-4 patterns I really like, some of them using the same materials so I don't have to buy as much different stuff. I can't find the 1.5" foxy brush I use anywhere for under $17 and thats for only 6 pieces! As for deer hair, I would pick up the phone and call local taxidermists and processors like fishnpreacher mentioned. They may not have anything now but in a couple months when deer are coming through the door everyday I am sure they'd love to have someone pickup their "trash." Offer them what you paid for that bag of hair and they may give you the whole deer!

Reactions: The Fin

·
Registered
316 Posts
Material costs are still better than a $5 clouser, or way worse on other patterns.
And don't forget that you can tie your own flys with materials not sold as "fly tying material".
White shag bath mats make for a lifetime of craft fur if you are willing to dye your own colors.
Polyester yarn and two dog brushes will give you a lifetime of dubbing in every color under the sun
Bonnie macrame cord and two dog brushes will give you a lifetime supply of something very similar to EP type fibers.
Salvation Army & Goodwill usually have some beat-up fur coats, muffs, or hood collars from time to time (but PITA has kind of tapped out that source)
Squirrels and other furry critters are abundant, hunting buddies can usually come up with deer hair for you if you give them a heads up in fall and I will admit that when the neighbors moved out and left their fancy chickens behind, well you get the idea. You can also buy fancy chicks pretty cheap at TSC in the spring. It takes a while for that solution to materialize though.
I love my local shop but fly fishing/tying has been around longer than online shopping and most fly shops.
Learning to process your own materials can be another aspect of tying your unique fly.

Wood Flooring Floor Cat Liver

·
Registered
2001 Maverick HPXT
193 Posts
I agree that tying materials are getting a bit ridiculous. Lately I have chosen 3-4 patterns I really like, some of them using the same materials so I don't have to buy as much different stuff. I can't find the 1.5" foxy brush I use anywhere for under $17 and thats for only 6 pieces! As for deer hair, I would pick up the phone and call local taxidermists and processors like fishnpreacher mentioned. They may not have anything now but in a couple months when deer are coming through the door everyday I am sure they'd love to have someone pickup their "trash." Offer them what you paid for that bag of hair and they may give you the whole deer!
Man you ain't jokin!!! I was looking at foxy brush and almost choked. I mean $3 more than before isn't going to stop me, but its unchill for sure.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts