Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have never fished for Redfish before and am contemplating making a trip from Calif to Texas last week of March. Am looking for suggestions on locations, flies etc. I have a Towee Calusa that I could /would bring with me if anyone wanted to join me and show me the ropes!

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
236 Posts
You’ll have a great time- lots of opportunities up and down the coast. But...there’s a lot of coast. Are you coming to see people in any part of the state, and maybe have easier access to one part of the coast?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’ll have a great time- lots of opportunities up and down the coast. But...there’s a lot of coast. Are you coming to see people in any part of the state, and maybe have easier access to one part of the coast?
Coming just to fish, so can go anywhere, would prefer shorter drive but open to anywhere really.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,334 Posts
From LA to El Paso is just under half way from El Paso to Orange, Texas. You'll definitely want to find some protected water and hope for favorable weather if you are fishing the Texas coast in a Towee. Tends to be pretty windy that time of year and all of the Texas bays have a nasty short square chop. I would encourage you to fish one day with a guide and then try the DIY thing. I will say the upper part of Sabine lake is usually very protected and it is the closest to you but it is also one of the hardest to figure out where to go. You will absolutely need a GPS. Galveston bay is your next closest stop but gets a lot more pressure so finding the fish can be much more challenging. Further South the water gets much nicer but it adds a lot of distance to your trip

·
Registered
744 Posts
Arroyo City would be your best bet. While it will be the furthest drive mile wise, you would have access to shallow water almost instantly. It doesn't get very big, as far as chop is concerned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arroyo City would be your best bet. While it will be the furthest drive mile wise, you would have access to shallow water almost instantly. It doesn't get very big, as far as chop is concerned.
Thank you for that info! Great place to start looking!

·
Registered
150 Posts
All the redfish in Texas are gone this time of year. They migrate to Louisiana.
Actually the Covid has pushed the Redfish away from Louisiana and almost to the Everglades, really rocky down there though, I won't even go there and I've got FMT. Probably a better fishing time could be had in Lake Rosevelt in the mountains above Phoenix. Bass galore, salt cedars, it just epic.

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
799 Posts
California huh? Welcome. Here’s a map of Texas to help out. View attachment 163825
Being from Ca. myself, I've run into a "bit of resistance" on this forum from time to time. I think that it's some form of jealousy! 😁 Have fun on your roadtrip, I'm sure that you'll receive some decent feedback from the membership.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,732 Posts
Being from Ca. myself, I've run into a "bit of resistance" on this forum from time to time. I think that it's some form of jealousy! 😁 Have fun on your roadtrip, I'm sure that you'll receive some decent feedback from the membership.
I will admit one of my good fishing buddies is from California and I learned how to run and pole a skiff on his Maverick HPX-T years ago. He got weird with a bunch of pyramid scheme crap and I have not seen him in several years.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a rental down in Rockport, if you need a place to stay but it's getting rented out for March. Mtter y personal advice, look at late April or better yet, mid-to late May. March can be cool and WINDY. Rockport affords ample dining, culture, guides and lots of places to hide from the wind, or dry launch near a flat without a boat ramp. Listing below.

Mods, if posting the above link violates MS rules, please let me know. I'm not a business.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts