TX Question

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast, Alabama to Texas' started by dbrady784, Apr 16, 2017.

1. dbrady784

dbrady784 Well-Known Member

I'm new to TX and just had some questions. I live in freeport and have wade fished near san luis pass a few times. Are there any productive areas closer? Also what are some productive baits? Is getting a boat necessary here? I noticed grass in the marsh on my way beachside, do the reds get up and tail in it like how they would on a flood tide in NE FL or SC? Any advice would help, and if you wanna get together and fish just pm me.

2. Copperspoonfly

Copperspoonfly Well-Known Member

I would set up a trip with Capt Jared Easly. He is a kayak guide and fishes out of Freeport, Matagorda and Galveston. There is some great fishing around Freeport.

3. Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

I'm in Angleton. Send me a PM sometime. I need someone to split poling duties with from time to time. However, I am an elitist fly fisher. No baits allowed. ;)

sjrobin likes this.
  4. Whiskey Angler

Whiskey Angler I Love microskiff.com!

I also fish out of freeport. Unfortunately, for waders, its the muddy end of the bay system. Like you said, San Luis has some hard pack sand that you can wade-in on, but PLEASE be careful to learn the safe waters around there. There are many drownings in that at San Luis every year.
    If you aren't ready to get a boat, there is great Kayak Fishing around Christmas Bay, Drum Bay, Swan Lake.

Lastly, don't forget about the surf!!! By the End of May through September, the trout will have moved into the surf, and hand's down, I have never had more fun fishing than on a day where the surf is full of pissed off trout....and no boat/kayak needed for it.

Pompano Kid and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  5. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

As stated, be VERY careful wading San Luis Pass, lots of casualties there every year. Swift current and massive dropoffs.
    I also second contacting Captain Jared Esley, he is a beast of a kayak guide in that area and a buddy of mine.

6. Roninrus1

Roninrus1 Well-Known Member

"Lastly, don't forget about the surf!!! By the End of May through September, the trout will have moved into the surf, and hand's down, I have never had more fun fishing than on a day where the surf is full of pissed off trout....and no boat/kayak needed for it."

Smack beat me to it.
    Also - be in the water when it is light enough to see. The bite usually slows once the sun gets up (around 9-9:30) or quits entirely. Same thing in the evening. Once the sun starts down the bite picks up. Conditions are best on a light SE wind, 5-10 mph.
    Hot pink is always good in the surf or a bone Top Dog Jr. Change hooks to singles. Trebles aren't fun when hand landing a thrashing trout.

7. dbrady784

dbrady784 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the replies. The surf fishing stated above doesn't seem much different then flats, do you use the same gear?

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  8. Smackdaddy53

For trout and reds, yes. Surf trout are stronger than bay trout so be ready.

sjrobin likes this.
  9. Whiskey Angler

Pretty much the same gear. You will probably end up using heavier jigheads...not necessarily to sink faster, but to help keep tension on the line in to feel bites when there is a side current (almost always is around here). You will also be doing a lot more reel maintenance. Surf-troutin' can get pretty sporty and you will be getting blasted by waves, and your reel will get submerged often.
    If you are a good swimmer, and you plan on really getting in the surf and heading out to the second bar...Here's a tip: learn to just go with the flow. As a wave/swell comes, just push up off the bottom with your toes and float up with the wave and then land back on one foot....repeat. Don't fight the surf...be the surf. LOL.
    Sorry I really love the surf...been wading it since I was like 6.

sjrobin and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  10. Whiskey Angler

Also, the more crap you have strapped on you (wading belt, gear bag, net, stringer) the less fun and more trouble you will have. I put a pouch with an extra jighead and tails in a zipper pocket, and if I plan on keeping afew, I'll tie a stringer and maybe a net to me. Otherwise, I just bring nothing but a few extra tails.

TailingLoop likes this.
  11. Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

And if you hang a really big trout, I'd start backing up towards the sand and sling it up on the beach vs trying to net or grip it.

Smackdaddy53 and Whiskey Angler like this.
  12. Whiskey Angler

Plus, you look awesome when you do the reverse-and-sling method, and people will gather on the beach and say "what kind of feesh is that, what bait d'yu have?"

Sublime likes this.
  13. Smackdaddy53

That's why you drive down the beach until you stop seeing people then drive another five miles!

Sublime likes this.
  14. Whiskey Angler

Yup. We have a house on Beach Drive down on the no-vehicle portion of Surfside, so I usually just stroll directly out to the water...shirtless and hung-over...its quite a sight.
    Seriously though, if you lads ever want to meet up one nice morning this summer and cast into the waves and shoot the poop, that'd be great.

dbrady784, WillW and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  15. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

A good lure casting surf fisherman can usually take their game anywhere.