Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m sure everyone has seen what is going on in Texas right now. If you haven’t you should do a little research . Some areas that may have been a world class fishery have been decimated. With that being said I’ve seen on other forums the talk of reeasing trout of 21”. Do you think this is the right way to go? Should the completely shut it down to catch and release like the west coast of Florida did during the red tide fish kills?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,129 Posts
I’m all for catch and release for a year or two but we all know that won’t fly here. They should at least not allow any trout to be taken during the spring and summer but we all know that won’t fly either. I honestly hope TPWD severely limits the taking of fish and at a minimum changes the slot limit to 16-18” or something like that. Summer meat hauls should cease and the Texas STAR tournament is considering going to a catch and release format like Florida which I have been talking about for years. Several hundred big 8-10 pound trout are killed for the weigh in every summer because there is no live weigh in option. This is ridiculous! Whatever happens we will live with but I hope this is a wake up call for meat haulers and trophy trout filleters that don’t seem to understand how important these fish are to the future of the resource.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Every state has to control its own fisheries and all of us need to participate both individually and in organized groups.

We’ve come a long way here in Florida. I can remember back in the seventies when we lost every fight - and watched as specie after specie went into decline and collapse. It took years before we were able to turn it around...

Hope every angler in Texas can get behind reasonable conservation measures, properly enforced, to bring back your inshore fishing. In past years I’ve contributed fishing trips for auction in Texas, Louisiana, and my own state Florida through the CCA outfits in each state. Guess I’ll have to get active again...

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,129 Posts
Every state has to control its own fisheries and all of us need to participate both individually and in organized groups.

We’ve come a long way here in Florida. I can remember back in the seventies when we lost every fight - and watched as specie after specie went into decline and collapse. It took years before we were able to turn it around...

Hope every angler in Texas can get behind reasonable conservation measures, properly enforced, to bring back your inshore fishing. In past years I’ve contributed fishing trips for auction in Texas, Louisiana, and my own state Florida through the CCA outfits in each state. Guess I’ll have to get active again...
CCA could do better here, it’s time they wake up and get with the times. Making it mandatory to kill at MININUM an 8 pound trout to weigh in to possibly win a prize and continuing this bounty slaughter for about four months is absolutely not ok. This isn’t the 80’s, it’s time we get proactive with regulations. People always cry about more regulations yet seem to not be able to regulate themselves. Recreational and commercial fishermen are not in Mother Nature’s original formula. She can only balance what she can control.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I’m all for conservation. Will be interesting to see what the data suggests on the freeze kill and the mood that develops. People are pretty pissed off now here mostly about the colossal failure of the electricity, fish might be low on the things that are a priority list. But, with the number of videos and photos of dead fish, there are now ones showing up with apparently numbers of healthy trout and reds sunning themselves out around Rockport and in canals.

There’s a lot of distrust in the leadership, the science, data and the veracity of information, that was true the last time TP&W lowered trout limits, maybe this time it will be different, but I’m not overly optimistic. The main two local to Texas saltwater fishing forums that I know about haven’t at all dominanted by the conservation camp. I guess we will see.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If they lower limits or close a season on our major game fish here in TX the locals will lose their damn minds. There's a lot of close minded people who just don't care enough about the resource to look into what their actions actually do. You see it everywhere along banks where they pull up and throw trash everywhere and dead "less desirable " species just thrown up on the bank. It's in the mindset of the guys who run two trips with 4-5 clients and pack the cooler with ever legal fish they can get their hands on. For the mindset to change here it's going to have to be drastic, unfortunately I don't think a fish kill will "wake up" 99 percent of those people. Regulations need to be put in place if we want to see a curbing of the decline we're about to see. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Stand up, speak up, do your best to change that mindset... Don't get upset if it takes time to get where you want to be.

When I first came to Florida the regs were sparse - and poorly enforced. Any serious angler could sell his catch (in effect we were all commercials once we learned how to hammer the resource - but we learned better...). Today that's not only enforced -but most would never think of "feeding the neighborhood" the way so many of us did years ago...
If CCA is not responsive - keep after them, talk to anyone that will listen - and don't give up. Contact folks running tournaments and ask them how they can justify killing fish - since other states and jurisdictions still have great tournaments - and long ago gave up on "kill tournaments" both in blue water and inshore...

You either protect the fishing - and your shorelines along with inshore habitats, or watch it all disappear... over time.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,129 Posts
The tournament fishing in Texas is completely out of control. There is a tournament at least and usually more than one every weekend for half the year at least.

The incentive is to drive fast, far and win and nothing else.
This goes for EVERYONE that wets a line. I have been preaching general conservation, not killing trophy breeder trout, not taking full limits just because we can etc for years and got a lot of static but I don’t care. If people didn’t wait until after an event like this to react and change their ways we might bounce back much sooner. We as recreational anglers are not part of the original equation. Let them swim, only keep what you plan on eating before freezing and don’t be greedy!
For the record I was around during the ‘83 and ‘89 freezes, it was not pretty. The rivers froze over 1” thick and the bays had ice sheets floating. Trout and redfish were not gamefish before ‘83...this was the year that changed. Fishing was not cool then and you could go out on the bay on a Saturday and maybe see one or two boats all day. The fishing pressure now is exponentially greater and we need to consider that what is legal does not mean it’s right.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,100 Posts
Texas was a DISASTER in the late 70's/early 80's & the conservation measures enacted, turned the tables & the Salt fishery exploded to the positive side. I agree that MANY people want all they can get no matter what however, by everyone possible going to CPR, a 1-2 year TOTAL closure on game fish, the fishery should rebound successfully, barring any more disasters. What will SEVERELY curtail the law breakers is BIG fines instead of wrist slaps & second offenses receiving 30 days, $1000 fine, & 5 years loss of fishing privileges, 3rd offense 90 days jail, $5000 fine, & lifetime fishing ban. Before some of you start screaming, please think, " Short term pain for Long term gain !!! " The closure in Florida has been a fantastic success story & fishing should remain great IF, folks don't get GREEDY !!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
The real problem is the guy and guides with full stringer pictures. Those days are over, I have been releasing 5# and over trout for over 30 years and quit freezing fish for about 10. Big trout are not worth a shit to eat and the same goes for frozen fish. I also quit participating in the CCA tournament around the same time. Just keep what you can eat that day and no more. Preliminary observations: It looks like the deeper bays or the areas that have close access to deeper channels and contours are doing much better than the shallow bay systems starting just south of Port O. The fish kill in these areas are massive with some intervention surely imminent. We have still yet to see what has happened in the deeper bay systems north of Port O because it will take a while for the fish to decay enough to float. Hopefully, it will not be that bad. When water temperature begins to drop below 41° to 43° for more than a day it will start killing speckled trout. Redfish can take a little more and it looks like (preliminary) that it has not been as bad for them. In the last few years we have been getting more snook in our waters farther north. I am afraid this will chase them back to warmer southern waters. Also, I believe the tarpon are not as affected because they mostly should have moved out into the deeper waters of the Gulf anyway. Juvenile tarpon will most likely be affected, sadly. Change your habits, if you haven’t already, and practice catch and release. The fishery is more important than your pride.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think more people like us need to start confronting people like this is a respectful way. Once enough people begin to say something and question their tactics, they may not like the public humiliation and change their behavior. Perhaps this is easier said than done.
If you do that to have to be prepared to beat someone’s ass for it. Getting choked out from time to time is good for us all. Lessons forged in fire are so valuable.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,129 Posts
If you do that to have to be prepared to beat someone’s ass for it. Getting choked out from time to time is good for us all. Lessons forged in fire are so valuable.
I’ve had guys want to fight on the water after they burned a shoreline I was poling and I ran past them, cut them off and politely educated them. I don’t think these guys know what assholes some of these inconsiderate pricks are. They know they are doing something wrong and will tell you that you don’t own the water. It’s amazing what people are like these days. When I was growing up my dad would have done more than talk to them but this is a different age of blatant, trashy people.
I don’t know if you see it anywhere else but some of these idiots have “burn bars” fabricated that bolt to their center consoles and they stand on top of the console, lean on the burn bar and drive with their feet while burning flats looking for redfish. Here’s one of the jackasses...

·
Banned
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
275 Posts
The tournament fishing in Texas is completely out of control. There is a tournament at least and usually more than one every weekend for half the year at least.

The incentive is to drive fast, far and win and nothing else.
Too bad the tournaments couldn't follow the Major League Fishing model where fish catches are recorded and released immediately.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts