Two part foam Heat

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by oysterbreath, Dec 24, 2012.

1. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

OK, I'm almost ready to pour some two part marine foam. I have three main chambers and enough foam for two of them. I've heard a lot of people do things like ad a block of polyiso in there chambers, add ping-pong balls, and even empty 2 liter jugs inorder to reduce the about of two part needed. My questions is this. Is the heat that is created by the curring process of two part great enough to melt these items thus rendering them useless? Also, I plan to have a few rod tubes and maybe a bilge tube extending into this area. Will the heat mess with these items? Thanks...

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Nope, do smaller pours and the heat won't be any real issue. I was able to touch mine through every part of the process and it only got slightly warm.

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Curing temp will be in the neighborhood of 190 degrees. It should not affect anything listed other than maybe deform the pop bottles.

Small pours would be wise.

If you run the bilge tube and then pour you will never get it out if it ever fails. Run a superfluous tube to run the bilge tube through.