Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up another spare motor over the weekend. The one on the right is a 74 and the other is a 76 I believe. I just got the 76, it's been sitting in my buddy's barn. He said it worked when he put it up. I cleaned it up. The pull start won't engage the flywheel. I took the recoil off and put PB Blaster on the pawls. It was throwing the pawls out but doesn't work when I got it put back together. If you pull it real fast sometimes it catches. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,323 Posts
I picked up another spare motor over the weekend. The one on the right is a 74 and the other is a 76 I believe. I just got the 76, it's been sitting in my buddy's barn. He said it worked when he put it up. I cleaned it up. The pull start won't engage the flywheel. I took the recoil off and put PB Blaster on the pawls. It was throwing the pawls out but doesn't work when I got it put back together. If you pull it real fast sometimes it catches. Any suggestions?
Did you see any cork/felt when looking at the pawls? There should be something kinda oily to put some resistance on the mechanism.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't had time to look at it. I'm going to pull the recoil off my other motor and compare them. I wonder if I put them in backwards when they fell out while rewinding the pull start. You can see in the picture where they have been scraping the flywheel.
Auto part
Auto part Clutch Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.