Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - we are looking seriously at the above lodge - any experiences, time of year, hot flies, tips, etc. would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey everyone - we are looking seriously at the above lodge - any experiences, time of year, hot flies, tips, etc. would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!
It has changed hands. Now called dragon cay resort. Recent reviews are spotty. Food is an issue on middle Caicos. The restaraunt at dragon cay is apparently only open for lunch. There are no other options on middle Caicos which necessitates about a 20-30 minute drive to north Caicos. No grocery stores on middle Caicos either. There are small groceries on north but hours are very limited on Sunday's, ok other days, and selection is small. They often run out of perishables like bread, fruits, vegs. Prices are about double plus. There are three small restaurants on north Caicos near the defunct airport. There is fourth run by the kayak rental guy closer to the causeway but we've not tried it. We don't rent kayaks, we bring inflatable sups. They soak you something like 85 a day for one plus more to transport it and pick you up, I think. We rent car from Al's. He also rents kayaks and I think he has a trailer he lets you use for free. Scooter bobs rents cars and someone told me if you rent a car from him and he doesn't have anyone renting his ecolodge he'll let you use the kayaks he has on his property at bottle creek. How true this is I can't vouch. You need to time your flights to be sure you can catch a ferry both ways. It is a 20 plus minute taxi ride. $42 for the taxi for a party of 2, $50 each round trip for the ferry.

I'm down there now. Third trip this winter. Less fish so far, but only been here two days. Less fisherman, too. Fishing here is not as simple as the diy book makes it sound. Wind is about 20 kts give or take five most days. You need a kayak or sup to access it. Plan on a 1 mile exposed paddle, usually into the wind to get there. In bottle creek you can paddle only 200 yards then walk the rest, but a 1-1.5 mile wade to start the day is work. Once there you have some shelter from the east wind, but if the fish aren't in there repositioning can be hard.
in the causeway you need to cross deeper water and deal with current.
The fishing is not automatic. If you can find fish and make the cast they are not fussy. Gotchas work fine. You'll want some small stuff and some light stuff since a lot of chances come in shallow water at tailing fish, particularly in the early am. Some places have either grass or red sponge so bring a few flies with weed guards. Finding fish is the hard part. Some days it's easy and some days it seems impossible. There is nothing consistent about any of the spots we fish. You have miles and miles of flats, tides are very complicated and confusing. This is our 4th time here for a week each time and it seems water depths are getting harder rather than easier to predict. That's a problem because a 2" change in depth may mean the fish are 1-2 miles away from where you found them a day or two earlier. Because you are fishing in creek systems there is a significant time delay but there is also a significant effect from wind direction, and moon phase of course.
There is a guide who works the area called Darin Bain. Expensive, however.
Overall it is a cool place. People are very friendly and scarce. North Caicos doesn't offer much for the wife but middle Caicos has better beaches (there is a true beauty north of haul over point) and walks from what I gather.
Good luck if you go. Put time and effort in and you'll find fish.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Wow just a little info there! You should make a travel guide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has changed hands. Now called dragon cay resort. Recent reviews are spotty. Food is an issue on middle Caicos. The restaraunt at dragon cay is apparently only open for lunch. There are no other options on middle Caicos which necessitates about a 20-30 minute drive to north Caicos. No grocery stores on middle Caicos either. There are small groceries on north but hours are very limited on Sunday's, ok other days, and selection is small. They often run out of perishables like bread, fruits, vegs. Prices are about double plus. There are three small restaurants on north Caicos near the defunct airport. There is fourth run by the kayak rental guy closer to the causeway but we've not tried it. We don't rent kayaks, we bring inflatable sups. They soak you something like 85 a day for one plus more to transport it and pick you up, I think. We rent car from Al's. He also rents kayaks and I think he has a trailer he lets you use for free. Scooter bobs rents cars and someone told me if you rent a car from him and he doesn't have anyone renting his ecolodge he'll let you use the kayaks he has on his property at bottle creek. How true this is I can't vouch. You need to time your flights to be sure you can catch a ferry both ways. It is a 20 plus minute taxi ride. $42 for the taxi for a party of 2, $50 each round trip for the ferry.

I'm down there now. Third trip this winter. Less fish so far, but only been here two days. Less fisherman, too. Fishing here is not as simple as the diy book makes it sound. Wind is about 20 kts give or take five most days. You need a kayak or sup to access it. Plan on a 1 mile exposed paddle, usually into the wind to get there. In bottle creek you can paddle only 200 yards then walk the rest, but a 1-1.5 mile wade to start the day is work. Once there you have some shelter from the east wind, but if the fish aren't in there repositioning can be hard.
in the causeway you need to cross deeper water and deal with current.
The fishing is not automatic. If you can find fish and make the cast they are not fussy. Gotchas work fine. You'll want some small stuff and some light stuff since a lot of chances come in shallow water at tailing fish, particularly in the early am. Some places have either grass or red sponge so bring a few flies with weed guards. Finding fish is the hard part. Some days it's easy and some days it seems impossible. There is nothing consistent about any of the spots we fish. You have miles and miles of flats, tides are very complicated and confusing. This is our 4th time here for a week each time and it seems water depths are getting harder rather than easier to predict. That's a problem because a 2" change in depth may mean the fish are 1-2 miles away from where you found them a day or two earlier. Because you are fishing in creek systems there is a significant time delay but there is also a significant effect from wind direction, and moon phase of course.
There is a guide who works the area called Darin Bain. Expensive, however.
Overall it is a cool place. People are very friendly and scarce. North Caicos doesn't offer much for the wife but middle Caicos has better beaches (there is a true beauty north of haul over point) and walks from what I gather.
Good luck if you go. Put time and effort in and you'll find fish.
Thanks so much, numbskull - I will keep y'all posted!

·
Registered
829 Posts
You can trust what numbskull says in my experience. I am going back next weekend. The thing is when you find the fish they eat and they are good sized!!

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,563 Posts
Don't know if it matters but I saw yesterday the State Department issued a warning to Americans vacationing at the Turks and Caicos.

It was directed mostly at Spring Breakers but it caught me by surprise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More good info, guys! - that State Department warning is kinda' worrisome - a P.S.... I did some double checking and think that maybe there was some confusion between Blue Horizon, on Middle Caicos which has become Dragon Cay Resort and Beyond the Blue (where we are headed) which is on South Caicos - thanks again!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was there in January for a week. The info @numbskull provided is legit. The wind blew 25-30 the entire week I was there but I managed to get into a few fish that were hard won. Didn’t have any issues security wise on Provo, but I have spent plenty of time in sketchy places so YMMV. Generally don’t do stupid things, in stupid places with stupid people and you’ll have a blast.

·
Registered
829 Posts
When are you going? I will be there Sunday doing DIY. My buddy just got back, he was taking a break from bonefishing and throwing the spinning rod on the beach. He had a 1/2oz jig had with a soft plastic and steel leader and caught another bonefish!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
More good info, guys! - that State Department warning is kinda' worrisome - a P.S.... I did some double checking and think that maybe there was some confusion between Blue Horizon, on Middle Caicos which has become Dragon Cay Resort and Beyond the Blue (where we are headed) which is on South Caicos - thanks again!
Lol. That was a lot of typing for nothing then. Beyond the blue is supposed to be great. I met a fly shop owner from Colorado down here last trip who had fished 1-2 days with them and he raved about it. I prefer DIY fishing but have an older friend who wants to take a guided trip somewhere. I've been trying to get him to bite on this lodge. Please post some follow up once you've done it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think travel advisories regard Provo. There is a big Haitian crime problem according to the locals on Caicos. North and Middle Caicos seem very sleepy and safe. People are very friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Now I am not saying there isn't a crime issue, but travel warnings like that have a substantial impact to the economies in those countries. Mexico got hit hard by it over a decade ago and much of it was secular, but the media hyped it. I've been to T&C before and never felt an issue anywhere on the island.

@numbskull nailed the fishing - it is challenging, but you can get great rewards. I did really well on North, but worked my butt off to do it. The fish in super shallow are the easier ones to find, but always stay a little deeper, maybe a foot, and work back and forth between a little deeper and shallow. The big ones hang off to the side in the deeper water. Caught some beasts there.

And to give you an idea of how different the islands are - Provo is a tourist hub - mega resorts are there - as is most of the population - about 25k. Move over to North and the population goes to about 1,300 or so. Moving onto Middle and there is less than 200 people. East is un populated and an area I'd love to take a live aboard and some skiffs to explore. South has about as much as North, about 1,300. I felt like the only person on the island when I fished Middle. Make sure to have a cell phone that works - you can not see a car for hours on Middle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I keep a skiff in Provo and fish 4-5 trips per year for years. For years the government restricted netting bones. In the past couple years they have started again. Bone population is way down. Used to be pretty easy but now you have to run far and work hard.
Also, airboats on the flats near South Caicos are not helping things there either

·
Registered
829 Posts
I keep a skiff in Provo and fish 4-5 trips per year for years. For years the government restricted netting bones. In the past couple years they have started again. Bone population is way down. Used to be pretty easy but now you have to run far and work hard.
Also, airboats on the flats near South Caicos are not helping things there either
Wow that sucks, I can’t believe they are allowing that again. They are very easy decimate by netting. I don’t like the idea of airports ripping across flats either. Did you buy your skiff there or bring it over? Asking because a friend and I were thinking about same thing

·
Registered
829 Posts
Well I just spoke to my friend and it seems like this fishery is sadly in process of being destroyed. He saw turtle poachers down south along with nets being placed in major cuts between islands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am headed there in May with the Family.. Is there any wade fishing in Provo? Sounds like bottle creek is the best option, but sounds like a bit of a process to access from provo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definitely need a guide... use to be some small bones in Chalk Sound but they have all been eaten.
I would call Ed withCatch the Wave... great guy, very good guide. Remember they are all expensive expensive on Provo
Good luck!

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,511 Posts
Why would you go that far for such hard fishing. I thought GT where there
Abaco or Exumma may be better
But I've never been to any of these places

1 - 20 of 42 Posts