Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why? For some saltwater applications, they’re awesome. Used tube versions of poppers in particular in Baja for years. Because they tend to slide up the leader during the fight they take less abuse and therefore hold up better than conventional flies to multiple hook ups (yes, an actual problem that used to exist with dorado). Also, you can use shorter shaft hooks. Downside can be that not all patterns or styles of fly adapt well to tube versions, and they can be bulkier and more difficult to present. But overall they definitely have a place in saltwater fly fishing.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why? For some saltwater applications, they’re awesome. Used tube versions of poppers in particular in Baja for years. Because they tend to slide up the leader during the fight they take less abuse and therefore hold up better than conventional flies to multiple hook ups (yes, an actual problem that used to exist with dorado). Also, you can use shorter shaft hooks. Downside can be that not all patterns or styles of fly adapt well to tube versions, and they can be bulkier and more difficult to present. But overall they definitely have a place in saltwater fly fishing.
Thanks Sardina!! I never thought about tying tubes until I did some research over the weekend. The pro's are definitely outweigh the con's for certain applications. I was hoping I wouldn't go out and start investing in a new technique, but I just might have to!!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Tried tubes years ago and didn't find much use for them inshore - but for years now offshore types - particularly billfish anglers have relied on them to get the job done.... The biggest advantage they provide is not the saving of that popper or 'cuda fly - it's the fact that you can position your hook farther back in a long tail than you'd be able to with a conventional fly... That sort of setup is very similar to how offshore lures are trolled by those using big guns to go after tuna, marlin, wahoo and dolphin...

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Great looking bugs.. and as I said you can position the hook on a tube fly at whatever distance you want from the front end and even make a double hook rig or a short wire tippet with that hook that's completely concealed from the fish you're hunting... if that's what's needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts