Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Truck Undercarriage Rust Prevention

2309 28
99.9 percent of the time my truck never touches water during launch.... regardless there's saltwater on the ramp from last guys pulling boat out. I give the truck's rear end a rinse every now and again during boat wash down and wash the truck regularly. Seeing what you guys do for added protection? Safe can spray products and application?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Fly Fishing Shaman
6,347 Posts
Product Liquid Spray Material property Deodorant

https://www.amazon.com/QMAXX-HS025-...t=&hvlocphy=1015018&hvtargid=pla-568256737579

I've been using this stuff for several years now for everything that has to do with any kind of metal vs saltwater and it works great. Spray down the inside of the cowling of the engine of my OB, as well as outside metal components of the OB where I'll spray some in a plastic container and either use some rubber gloves with a rag or use a small paint brush and dab some in the nooks and crannies where I can't get to. I'll also do the same with any hardware on the boat (including aluminum or SS components) and any hardware or metal components on my trailer. I also use a the frame, suspension and hitch of my tow vehicles, all about twice a year. No problems.

That being said, like smackdaddy said, nothing replaces spraying down everything with freshwater after every use. But with the use of QMaxx SALT, I don't have to use high pressure water from a pressure washer, just a normal spraydown from the hose. I've found the the Qmaxx SALT leaves a film that just doesn't come off.

I have a very shallow ramp about 8mins from the house that requires me to back down way out in the water (all tires up to the rims) on a low tide until I get enough water to launch my skiff off my low slung trailer. I had rust problems with several previous tow vehicles and almost gave up launching at that ramp. But now, I don't worry about it so much.

Ted

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the helpful responses... I drink beer regardless of worries and you're not making it to the ramp enough to not worry about it at all. I use fluid film on my lower unit area and areas on the trailer. Its decent considering it's a bio product... I thought about moving it to the truck too. i'll check out the other products too.

· I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
The guys that drive on the beaches in Australia use a lanolin product. I looked but can’t find the video. It’s natural so you’re not contaminating stuff and should wash off with some degreaser when you need to work on it.

I just looked at a truck this week for a buddy that spent 1 winter in Nebraska. 2018 F-150, the body and frame were good but any bare steel parts were heavily rusted. Driveshaft, exhaust, U-bolts, motor mounts, front suspension bushings, etc.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
If you find name of product let us know
The guys that drive on the beaches in Australia use a lanolin product. I looked but can’t find the video. It’s natural so you’re not contaminating stuff and should wash off with some degreaser when you need to work on it.

I just looked at a truck this week for a buddy that spent 1 winter in Nebraska. 2018 F-150, the body and frame were good but any bare steel parts were heavily rusted. Driveshaft, exhaust, U-bolts, motor mounts, front suspension bushings, etc.

· I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts

· Registered
3,746 Posts
I like how we all take a simple question and turn it into the best and more than adequate answer to the original question along with personal experiences beyond what OP experiences. OP said truck may only get wet .01 percent of the time. He is more worried about the salt water on ramp from other vehicles. Personally I don’t think you are driving at a ramp fast enough to fling water off tires into the fender wells let alone chassis. I’ve never had an under carriage rust away from this normal use. Have you? Hell, trailers last decades getting dunked with minimal care. However, as usual you still pull some good tips from the answers. Like never buying anything because Rick Infomercial Murphy pushes it. Will do my own research. And if it’s Backwater(member) approved it probably works. Plus it’s a nice looking can. I like the Ryobi attachment, but will probably still just use the garden hose. And never take your truck to Nebraska. Charles Hadley is probably on to something. When driving on the beach that salty sand gets everywhere. Yes it’s slow around here. Doing my part to help.

· I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
This is really a non-issue. Think of how much road salt gets on cars up north and it's not even really an issue on cars made in the last 20 years.
That’s not really the case from what I’ve seen. The frames don’t rust through enough to be structurally compromised, but most vehicles used up there will have holes through the rockers and rear fenders in 6-8 years.

· Registered
669 Posts
That’s not really the case from what I’ve seen. The frames don’t rust through enough to be structurally compromised, but most vehicles used up there will have holes through the rockers and rear fenders in 6-8 years.
Some, not most. And only in extremes where they are constantly exposed and never washed. In FL just the rain from afternoon storms is enough to clear the tiny bit of salt off the car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.