Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know this isn't a trout report but I have been finding some good reds in the surf. Went out yesterday and caught 6 reds and 6 flounder (3 puppies and 3 upper slot fish). Went out today and caught 3 drum that were all upper to over slot (26-30 inches). My dad went out for an hour before dark today and went 4 for 5 on 30-35 inch reds. Everything we caught were on 4 inch gulp shrimp in white with chartreuse tail and nuclear chicken

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Went out yesterday for two hours to try out the first white, size 8 Rapala X-rap I have ever owned and caught 7 nice trout, 4 decent flounder, and 3 needlefish. Caught 3 of the flounder and 1 trout on the golden boy diezel minnowz, but everything else on the xrap. Never used a twitch bait in my life but the trout hammered it. Slow bite though....

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Trey found a 30” trout floating dead in August with a 17-18” mullet in it’s gut. Never be scared to tie on a big lure to catch a pig. You have to keep it tied on and fish it relentlessly and not be teased into fishing a small lure in exchange for catching dink trout.
I have some custom 9” swimbaits I painted up to resemble juvenile trout and need to go ahead and practice what I preach this winter. 10/0 Trokar Beast hook...
63A40129-9B3C-446B-A16C-9BDF5FE85508.png EC38E6B4-1183-44CD-AD2E-E64C60E7974E.jpeg 7D7FF06E-B7D8-49BC-87F5-707CE207A3D4.jpeg

·
Registered
464 Posts
Griffin, Trout fishing has been the best in years.
Don't leave that topwater at home.
Yesterday we had a 4 man limit. Kept a few to share with friends./
Bottom Trout was close to 4 #. .......ICM
DSCN5600.JPG

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great reports! I'm no trout guy and could borderline care less about catching them but this year I am yet to catch one under 17". Must be a good year for them! May have to try the surf for some of those reds
I was catching a bunch in the surf last week but when I went Monday I didn't get a single redfish bite. I haven't been able to find the reds in a while....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Griffin, Trout fishing has been the best in years.
Don't leave that topwater at home.
Yesterday we had a 4 man limit. Kept a few to share with friends./
Bottom Trout was close to 4 #. .......ICM
View attachment 100624
Only caught 3 today. Forgot all my soft plastics at home and had to throw a little white Rapala twitch bait in 25-20mph winds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Griffin, the reds have been scattered for me also. That's why I've been messing w trout just to fill the void. I'll be out this weekend and let you know if I find any

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good I will do the same. I'm waiting for the wind to calm down before I go look for some reds again. Looked in every one of my spots 2 weeks ago and didn't find any.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love topwaters but I just don’t like fishing mirrolures since they don’t cast well in wind and the MR17s I have sink really slowly

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
Trout are members of drum family , drum fish like bass quite a bit.
Trout like the top half of water column. Like smack said, big bait = big trout. It’s stupid how big a bait they will try to eat. When the going gets tuff ,try suspended jerk baits. Every trout in nc has been watching a popping cork w/ a gulp bait. Small ones are stupid , gator trout will educate you.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts