Trout fishing at night in fall/winter time

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by No Bait / Lures Only, Dec 5, 2017.

1. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

Has anyone tried trout fishing at night, as the amount of pressure during the daytime is very very heavy? I have locations spotted on the gps, just curious.....

2. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

I once camped/fished for a few days out of a yak with a buddy and thought we would just eat what we caught. But we ended up skunked during each day except for the nighttime trout. So, yes, do it!

3. No Bait / Lures Only

Usually fish cork n jig or swim baits for limits, may try these weeknights....

4. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

With or without lights?

5. No Bait / Lures Only

Probably a white light for safety marker only as I don't have any fishtype light to use.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  6. Smackdaddy53

Right now trout have been eating Corky Fatboys at night over the dropoffs between the warm flats and deeper channels.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    No Bait / Lures Only likes this.
  7. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

We do quite a bit of daytime trout fishing out of both Flamingo and Chokoloskee during winter and spring - both outside and up inside rivers that drain out of the backcountry... The basics are pretty simple - I look for current seams where fish collect and we fish very slightly up-current and across with bucktails or leadheads with Gulp or plastic tails. Once the lure lands I have my anglers get in gear immediately (for plug reels... for spinners simply close the bail as the lure splashes down..) then count the lure down to the chosen depth and work it slowly across whatever current there is as it swings into where the fish are holding... Works like a charm and those same places, using the exact same tactics will get you bit most nights when the tide is right...
    The only change we make at night is to slow down a bit... By the way this works for lots of fish that hold in currents to feed - tarpon in particular...

Fritz and No Bait / Lures Only like this.
  8. No Bait / Lures Only

Been using the Tsunami elcheapo version and the original Fatboys, not lots of bites but bigger trout for sure...

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  9. No Bait / Lures Only

My best luck with swim baits is similar except I cast upcurrent and let the lure fall n barely reeling but feeling for the tightening or tap. Very hard to feel the bite, extremely subdued. Sometimes upon reeling in the fish is on....extra slow retrieve... colder it gets..

10. No Bait / Lures Only

What color light as I will go get one now

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  11. Smackdaddy53

No light necessary but if you want you can use a green LED

Capt Rhan likes this.
  12. jimsmicro

jimsmicro I Love microskiff.com!

Ha, I had a buddy do that too. Showed up to the campground with no food. He ended up wading a flat with a net catching blue crabs and boiling them up with a packet of ramen noodle seasoning. Lucky for him I shared my steak with him that I'd brought, the crabs were actually pretty tasty too.

13. No Bait / Lures Only

I decided to get the night fishing lights and battery, anyone have any suggestions for equipment or technique vs daytime trout fishing? By the way it will be in the high 20's tonight and snowing now in south Louisiana now and the road at Delacroix is completed....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  14. Smackdaddy53

What kind of light setup did you get? You need to find an area near deep water that has good current and bait and the rest will fall into place. Temperature is not an issue, I’ve caught trout under lights in the 20’s. Set your lights up before dark and have them on so the bait is on them and when the trout start popping and swirling it’s time. If you are wanting eaters there’s nothing better in the lights than a tandem rigged set of glow shad like this:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ttf..._AUIEigC&biw=375&bih=553#imgrc=LXSYmuyfz4WX9M:

No Bait / Lures Only likes this.
  15. eightwt

eightwt Well-Known Member

Do the same thing on the fly with a sink tip line. Works good especially at the ends of bars. (Not the ones you stop at on the way home.) Might be a killer at night.

16. No Bait / Lures Only

The deep water that I fish might be 8'-10'max, mostly 3'-5' and so the light setup is a SUPERBRITE 2500-X2 for 12volt 18ah battery, very small n light components with green and or white lights.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  17. Smackdaddy53

Set it up on a piling or something you can set your battery on and get the boat about 15-20 feet from the light and wait. Fish from a distance instead of having the light off the side of your boat.

18. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

topwater/ zara spook and DRIFT as shallow as you can float.
    trust me :cool:

19. Capt Rhan

Capt Rhan Active Member

When I was young? tahee my kids say I was never young.... in the late 60s early 70s I used to fish a lot. Every weekend almost. I found out how to trout fish on the Melbourne causeway bridge. I would take my light/gas lantern and hang it over the bridge about 4-5 ft above the water depending on waves. The shrimp would come to the light on surface and the trout would follow. I would only catch one or two and that was all right but all night long? Im fishing one evening and saw a familiar face just below me on the outskirts of my light beam. It was a aged black man and he would catch 10 or so trout and then leave. The next time I saw him I eased down toward him being it was my light he was in. he came up by me and asked what kind of bait I was using. I pulled up my heavy 8' spinning rig with my favorite Mitchel on it. he looked at it for a second and said would I like to try his bait...HUMMMMM sure? He reached around his waist and put what he had on my treble hook and said try that.
    like Paul Harvey the rest later I must make another cup of brew

yobata likes this.
  20. Capt Rhan

Capt Rhan Active Member

Well back to the FUTURE Reminiscing. The old guy said to do like he does, with his line down he would make his bait do a large figure 8 on the surface about 6" deep but couldn't keep it there long before a trout would hit it hard and then up it came. He said it was my turn. I did the same and Whoooooh a nice 4lb gator trout took off with my bait. After a nice fight I pulled it to top of bridge where I quickly put it in my 5gal paint bucket. When i did grab the line to look at my hook thinking his bait was gone I got to see what it was.
    You old gang may remember the song ( I was walking down the beach one bright and sunny day when I saw a great big wooden box a floatin in the bay ) come on help me sing it ....
    Well can you tell me what it was?