Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a question. I've been checking out a lot of micro skiff lately (e.g. Bateau SF14, Ambush skiffs, etc.) and I've noticed that almost none of the boats I've seen have a trolling motor mounted on the front of the boat. There are some videos on YouTube of guys fishing in Ambush skiffs and trolling along with their outboard in idle. In very shallow water, there is precious little space for the sound from an outboard to bounce around, so having an outboard running in 1' of water would be similar to hanging a pair of Bose speakers over the edge and blasting welcome to he jungle. In other words, all of the smart fish, would leave. Over the years I've even noticed an extreme difference in the amount of fish one catches with a trolling motor vs. something more stealthy like kayaking or wading.

So what am I missing here? I wondered if people aren't mounting small trolling motors on the front of these because it gets a bit too wobbly if you head that far forward on the boat. This should be easily addressable with an extender to the trolling motor handle or a remote controlled trolling motor. So, why is it that the micro skiffs I'm seeing typically don't have trolling motors mounted on the front of them?

Thanks, -Larry

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
A proper trolling motor set up is both heavy and expensive. I wouldn't be without one again, but for a 55lbs thrust set up you are looking at at least 85lbs between the motor and battery, and well over a grand to set it up.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
If you are fishing skinny (under ~2 feet) go with a push pole or drift...trolling motors make too much noise on a flat.

Reactions: CPurvis

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,276 Posts
If you add one make it removeable and have the battery box removeable as well. I fish some deep areas in winter but only a month or two so when I add mine the battery box will mount under the front casting platform. No holes through the deck with permanent trolling battery.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a bigger skiff but find I only use mine for freshwater (rare) and deeper venues (2-3’) especially when sight fishing stinks. Often early spring. Really only put it and the battery on board about 10-20% of the time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
686 Posts
Unless something in my life drastically changes I doubt I will ever own a skiff without a trolling motor. I've owned two Gheenoes too, and whatever space and weight the setup took was worth its weight in gold. I fish solo a ton and the last thing I want to do is be fighting a push pole while I fish. I also don't buy that if it gets too skinny I have to pole anyway, because if it gets too shallow for my trolling motor I'm in such shallow water that I'm scraping bottom with my hull anyway. I can troll in VERY shallow water. I'm not really afraid of spooking fish either. A trolling motor run on the lowest settings really doesn't make that much noise.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
595 Posts
If you add one make it removeable and have the battery box removeable as well. I fish some deep areas in winter but only a month or two so when I add mine the battery box will mount under the front casting platform. No holes through the deck with permanent trolling battery.
Agreed. I’m using these with short leads to the circuit breaker and trolling motor plug. That’s all that will stay on the boat when the trolling motor and battery are removed, no tools required.

https://www.amazon.com/AURELIO-TECH...2v+disconnect&qid=1551533757&s=gateway&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-T101...rds=Trac+plug&qid=1551533920&s=gateway&sr=8-1

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
I think the main thing is that if you see someone on the push pole, don't drop the motor and start chopping up the water thinking you're being quiet because you aren't idling on the big motor.

A good way to make enemies around here is to troll into an area someone is poling...

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
I think one of the most important things for skinny water trolling motor use is constant velocity. The fish will get used to the little noise of a TM pretty quick, but if you keep speeding up and slowing down the change in vibration will chase off everything.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,276 Posts
I think one of the most important things for skinny water trolling motor use is constant velocity. The fish will get used to the little noise of a TM pretty quick, but if you keep speeding up and slowing down the change in vibration will chase off everything.
You mean to tell me redfish are going to get used to the noise of a trolling motor when most places they spook if you make big arm movements when casting and the shadow of your lure spooks them? I’m not buying it. Maybe if you run your trolling motor down the same shoreline every day for a year but not in a few hours of fishing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I fish alone 75% of the time and use a trolling motor to move and position my boat, and also to get the boat out away from the mangroves fast when you hook a good fish. Try to pound the mangrove shoreline efficiently while you pole yourself along in the wind - not possible in my opinion.

Fish can hear them and sudden changes in speed can spook the fish, so vary the speed as little and gradual as possible.

Big fish get wrapped around the shaft so pull the motor up before that happens.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
I don’t care what anyone says, you can’t run a trolling motor in less than a foot of water without cavitating and making a bunch of noise. A trolling motor prop is too large to be quiet or effective in truly shallow water.
You mean to tell me redfish are going to get used to the noise of a trolling motor when most places they spook if you make big arm movements when casting and the shadow of your lure spooks them? I’m not buying it. Maybe if you run your trolling motor down the same shoreline every day for a year but not in a few hours of fishing.
Who's talking about fishing in less then a foot of water? Obviously you need enough water to run the TM, just like an outboard, that's common sense.
Buy whatever you like, doesn't matter, but I've had good success from Tampa Bay to Marco island with a TM. Never noticed a difference between paddle/push, drift, or TM when each is used as it needs to be.
I just don't get the pushpole elitist attitude.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Chop salad all you want when you're not around me. ;)

I equate someone trolling onto a flat that people are already poling with someone sleeping in until 9am (hung over) and then deciding to launch and motor into position amongst all the boats who launched with the sunrise after getting up when it was still dark.

When I fish solo, I know I'm limited in my options and plan accordingly. Amusingly enough, the last time I was out a guide who was new to the area saw me and idled over before dropping his trolling motor and jumping ahead of my line so his "angler" could start power fishing the edge I was on. The best part was him standing on the platform running the remote instead of the push pole (he had one on the skiff) and calling out, "crboggs is that you?"

Yes, I spun it up on plane and fucked the entire area before I left.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,276 Posts
Who's talking about fishing in less then a foot of water? Obviously you need enough water to run the TM, just like an outboard, that's common sense.
Buy whatever you like, doesn't matter, but I've had good success from Tampa Bay to Marco island with a TM. Never noticed a difference between paddle/push, drift, or TM when each is used as it needs to be.
I don’t have a push pole elitist attitude at all. The reason I post that is because I see people with poling skiffs running a trolling motor and leaving a big ass mud and chopped grass trail all the time and it’s pretty lazy. Why buy a poling skiff and troll in water that is too shallow to run it without chopping bottom and having the blades breaking the surface? Here in Texas we get out and wade a lot of the time.
Deeper water I totally understand, it’s tough to truly pole in more than 3 feet of water for very long and a trolling motor is pretty quiet when the blades are well below the surface. I had one on my last boat and plan on installing one on my Maverick for a limited amount of trips where I know I’ll use it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm still changing up my game as I figure out new things. But I typically prefer poling on a flat and an electric along the banks.
Where I fish, there are usually no other boats so I don't have to worry about spooking their fish. I've done fine with the electric in 2 feet of water without spooking fish before they see me. But 1 foot or less is totally different because, as others have stated above, it's hard to keep the prop from caveating.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
What does that have to do with anything? Your talking about guys being inconsiderate, not about the functionality of a trolling motor. To me the 2 are mutuality exclusive.
It goes directly to how people use them and the fact that they're noisy as hell.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts