Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor was scrapping a boat and gifted me the minkota 55lb thrust . Am i wasting my time putting a 55lb on a 198 Carolina skiff.

Question 2. Im also going from a 50hp 3cyl 2stroke merc to a 90hp 1988 merc. Im running 24mph now would i ne able to hit upper 30s going to a 90? I know its not an easy answer on the speed thing

·
BBA Counselor
7,230 Posts
Well that's an 80% increase in horse power, so with the right prop and a light load you might be able to get mid to upper 30's.

The trolling motor will work ok in calm conditions with little wind and current, but really a bit undersized for that boat. You'll want a 24v.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Free is awesome. Throw it on and use it until you cant stand it anymore. Unless you fish heavy current you will be ok. Certainly not ideal but at least you will be fishing. If you have the $$ for a 24v then go for it, if not roll with the free 55 until you have some $$.

·
Plays with Glass...
1,629 Posts
My neighbor was scrapping a boat and gifted me the minkota 55lb thrust . Am i wasting my time putting a 55lb on a 198 Carolina skiff.

Question 2. Im also going from a 50hp 3cyl 2stroke merc to a 90hp 1988 merc. Im running 24mph now would i ne able to hit upper 30s going to a 90? I know its not an easy answer on the speed thing
Cool thing about Minn Kota is they’re easily upgraded.

I just converted two 65s over to 70s for $200 for my 20 year old EP 130. I’d check Northland Marine to see if there are upgrades for the 55.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Had a 55# on a 17’ aluminum poling skiff and it would only pull the boat around if you were out of the wind and had one person and a light load for a little while. Any wind or two people and it was useless. Went to an 80 and it was so much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts