Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted my trolling motor (55 lb. MK) offset to port on my 17T. Works well, but I was getting a lot of vibration and flopping around of the control head end of the motor when running in small "washboard" chop. I was worried that over time, all the movement would weaken/damage the deck where the quick-release puck is mounted. It was also wallering out the little set-screw arrangement that holds the head housing in place on the shaft.

@anytide came up with this simple, stout clamp-on support leg. I ran it for the first time over the weekend, and the leg stayed in place in chop and held the motor rock solid. When the motor is deployed, the leg folds down along the shaft and doesn't affect operation at all. I may still cut a bit of length off the leg so it can go all the way vertical, but even at this little angle it held just fine.

The only thing I didn't foresee was that the distance from the deck to the trolling motor shaft varies according to how far up you pull to shaft in the "collar" when you stow it. Simple fix for that though: I'll just make a mark with a sharpie in the right spot on the shaft.

Second pic is for perspective just to show how the motor is mounted.

IMG_9088MS.jpg

IMG_6999w.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Cool idea, mine did the same thing. The bay/offshore guys are solving that problem with a ram mount but that requires screwing a ball to the deck. Your way leaves the deck clutter free.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, RAM was my first though, but that little ball mount on the deck would be a tripping hazard, snag point, and general PITA.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,194 Posts
Anytide, looked at your web site and didn't see the clamp-on TM support like the OP had you fabricate. Is that a custom item or part of your regular inventory. Simple, yet functional. You might want to patent that. ;)

Another advantage to these type of supports is it prevents the head unit with all those sensitive 'trons from getting bounced in the slop. That usually equates to better service life.

·
Administrator
5,742 Posts
Anytide, looked at your web site and didn't see the clamp-on TM support like the OP had you fabricate. Is that a custom item or part of your regular inventory. Simple, yet functional. You might want to patent that. ;)

Another advantage to these type of supports is it prevents the head unit with all those sensitive 'trons from getting bounced in the slop. That usually equates to better service life.
its a microskiff only special.
pm me and ill get you one.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good ^^^. Is the Motorguide shaft diameter different?

I bet that Fearless doesn't dish out a beating the way my 17T does.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks good ^^^. Is the Motorguide shaft diameter different?

I bet that Fearless doesn't dish out a beating the way my 17T does.
The boat does like a chop. I put the trolling motor support to protect my investment in the trolling motor. I have to say the support works like it should and I like the way it looks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
157 Posts
I think I had the original version of this, it's been on for a year and works great helps take the stress off the motor head when trailering and crossing a chop.

I just ordered a new one in white

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is great, and I want to order one, but no idea where to put the info for my TM?

It's a 80lb 24v 54" Terrova. Which option is it?

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,194 Posts
Have been using one of Anytide's supports for several months now. It does an excellent job of eliminating bounce while trailering or running in choppy water. Easy to retract and looks good, too. Highly recommend them.

·
Administrator
5,742 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts