Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a Seastrike 16 and was looking into installing a trolling motor. I haven’t had one before, so I’m open to any suggestions that you might have on installation, brands etc. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took a chance on a Haswing Aquos 55lb thrust that I purchased through Amazon. It is controlled with a wireless remote that I wear around my neck. I'm very satisfied with the power and utility of this motor on my 18ft tunnel hull. And, I'm not sure what it means, but the packaging contained a Minn Kota card. Hmmm.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
517 Posts
If you regularly deal with a lot of current, I would suggest a 24V trolling motor. I am not too familiar with the Northeast. Seems like the general brand reputation is: Minn Kota for proven reliability (none are bulletproof), MotorGuide for the spot lock/anchor accuracy and Rhodan for the offshore guys

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Unless you're fishing in big current and needing to hold a spot with anchor or spot lock... that 12v rig will work well for you. If you do fish inlets or rivers with noticeable current then a 24v rig all day long... but that will mean an extra battery (and the extra weight...). We just installed a Minn Kota 24v. Terrova on my skiff (after doing without a troller for around 20 years... and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm working out of an old Maverick skiff that's pretty close to 17' and needed more power than a 12v. would supply.. A pleasant surprise was that I found I could work two days on the water without having to re-charge my batts. We did also install a PowerMania 20amp on board charger as well (and I'd recommend one to anyone - mine is a dual bank - you can also get them in a triple back version... Whatever troller you get -make a point of looking at the Battery Tender power plug for it... They're a bit pricey at around $80 - but worth every penny...

Wish I'd had the sense to install one of the currently available trollers with spot (or anchor) lock as soon as they came available -they're head and shoulders better than what we used all those years ago....
Total hardware cost for my setup - around $2100 -without including the third battery we needed (my batts for the troller are two group 27 wet cells...).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts