Trolling Motor Shaft Length ?

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by DavidKnight, May 24, 2011.

1. DavidKnight

DavidKnight I Love microskiff.com!

This is my first boat and I confess to a lack of knowledge on setting up the boat.

I am having a River Hawk B-60 procaster deluxe built. I ordered a Minn Kota Riptide 55/ST/I-pilot 48" shaft - I THOUGHT. Upon review of invoice I am receiving the same except with a 55" shaft.

Can anyone tell me if this shaft is to long for the boat, or will it work and just sit up to high? I need to make a decision of returning it by tomorrow or installing it on the boat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David

2. Charlie

Charlie I Love microskiff.com!

I'll work perfectly well on your boat, you'll just have a large amount of the shaft out of the water. If this bothers you, send it back. If you don't mind the extra shaft, you're good to go :)

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I'd send it back, it's a remote unit so I'd want the shaft as short as possible since you won't be grabbing onto it to steer.

4. DavidKnight

DavidKnight I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for the replies. I called Minn Kota this morning and found out that the shaft can be cut down to a smaller length. Per Minn Kota as long as an authorized Minn Kota service center preforms the work it :cool:will not void the warranty.

I called a local authorized Minn Kota service center and they verified the above info and said it would be around $60 to shorten the shaft.