Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add a ipilot to my skiff. Not a huge fan of running the power cord across the deck to a plug on the front bulkhead. Or having a plastic outlet on the deck. Anyone have any cleaner looking ideas? I know one of the builders was putting the outlet into a gas filler neck. But cant seem to find any pics or information on how they did it. Or what parts they used.
Anyone have any info on that method or another clean method?

Thanks,
Evan

·
I Love microskiff.com!
37 Posts
+1 on Deltran Battery Tender plug, you have the option for the male end to be a 90 degree plug like those used on the bulkhead or you can make it so that it has no angle which is what I did an put it close to the TM body so it takes up little space. I just keep silicone grease on the metal parts and make sure its installed and sealed properly to prevent water intrusion

·
Registered
955 Posts
^^^^all of the above
20190317_175842.jpg

Reactions: timogleason and OED

·
Registered
730 Posts
@Evan Ott I really like how mine is done. I have what looks like a stainless gas filler neck but its smaller with a two hole key. Its waterproof. Then under the deck is a rigging tube connecting the filler neck and terminates at the bulkhead, where a blue seas buss is located. The trolling motor cables are rewired and extended with a sleeve and to rings to hard nut to the buss. The buss is wited through its own breaker to the battery that is located in the front hatch. There is a waterproof “stopper” on the cables with a threaded piece that threads into the filler neck just as the cap does.

I like it because of a few reasons. It is as water tight as one I have seen. Water can never get to your wiring or plug. Even if it gets through the filler neck it will drop into you front compartment and never contact electricity. Plus the connection is hard nutted with nyloc on the buss so no loose connections.

Sorry for the long explination and I can take photos if you would like to PM me. Happen to answer any questions.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,235 Posts
I saw the gas cap filler neck set up on a very tricked out Maverick HPXS. The cable goes through a weather tight fitting in the cap, down the neck and into the front hatch where the plug is.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a Battery Tender plug mounted right behind the trolling motor. Its turned 180 degrees from what the previous pictures show and it's on a 1/2" piece of black starboard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Evan Ott I really like how mine is done. I have what looks like a stainless gas filler neck but its smaller with a two hole key. Its waterproof. Then under the deck is a rigging tube connecting the filler neck and terminates at the bulkhead, where a blue seas buss is located. The trolling motor cables are rewired and extended with a sleeve and to rings to hard nut to the buss. The buss is wited through its own breaker to the battery that is located in the front hatch. There is a waterproof “stopper” on the cables with a threaded piece that threads into the filler neck just as the cap does.

I like it because of a few reasons. It is as water tight as one I have seen. Water can never get to your wiring or plug. Even if it gets through the filler neck it will drop into you front compartment and never contact electricity. Plus the connection is hard nutted with nyloc on the buss so no loose connections.

Sorry for the long explination and I can take photos if you would like to PM me. Happen to answer any questions.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like your setup is what I’m looking for. Did you do the rigging on this? You mind posting some pics on here so others can see?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like your setup is what I’m looking for. Did you do the rigging on this? You mind posting some pics on here so others can see?
This is how Chittum is rigging most of their TM. I rarely use mine and only have a 12v system so it was slightly different than some but overall the rigging is the same. It was tough to get a decent show of the rigging tube that runs from the deck fitting to the bulk head, but its a tube bonded to the underside of the deck and opens just to the side of the hatch opening right at the break and bus bar. I opted to have a big group 31 agm in the front so when I pole solo I can add weight to the nose by way of a battery. The only time I use the TM is when I go home to Jax to see family and fish a little as home for me now is Mosquito Lagoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
nativejax from what I can see this will hard wire the motor to the battery. Both MotorGuide and Minn Kota said to unplug the motor after each use and while charging.

·
Registered
730 Posts
nativejax from what I can see this will hard wire the motor to the battery. Both MotorGuide and Minn Kota said to unplug the motor after each use and while charging.
No sir, read through my description above. Wiring goes from TM to a Blue Seas Bus(pictured) to a breaker to the battery. When charging, depending on your model TM you can turn it off at either the foot pedal or through remote, then you switch your breaker off and can begin charging. For those that want to pull the nuts off the battery, if they feel it makes a difference, can easily but wired properly through the recommended breaker is all that is needed.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
Those come in white as well. I haven’t seen any rigged with them yet.
Smack, do you have a link or source for the white Battery Tenders? I plan to convert my trolling motor plug at some point and would prefer white. Have only found black with the green label in my searches. Nativejax's set-up is very clean and unobtrusive as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Smack, do you have a link or source for the white Battery Tenders? I plan to convert my trolling motor plug at some point and would prefer white. Have only found black with the green label in my searches. Nativejax's set-up is very clean and unobtrusive as well.
Battery Tender is a few minutes from me in DeLand. I’ve called and been to the factory looking for the white. I was told last year that it was discontinued.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts