Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious on feedback for placing a trolling motor on a Maverick HPX-V.

I have my platform at the very tip of the bow, which I really like. To leave this as is, I would have to install a trolling motor either port or starboard side of the bow.

Any feedback on performance with this type of set up?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Captain Hinson Lau’s Maverick.
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,134 Posts
I would put it on the side of the push pole as long as it doesn’t interfere with it. That way you have one side completely free of obstructions.
this is good too for fly fishing so you aren’t always throwing a wet towel over it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I noticed some MK trolling motors specify "bow mounted". Are there actually different models for bow and stern or is this just because the vast majority of trollling motors are mounted on the bow? Sorry for the dumb question. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bow mount means it mounts on top of the deck for use - the opposite would be "transom mount" which would clamp to the transom (typically on smaller boats)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I wouldn’t want it on the stern. You add more weight to the rear of the boat and won’t have as much control. Think pushing a length of chain or pulling it.
A skiff is very different than a chain.
I have mine mounted on the transom and its nice because it doesn't interfere with fly lines and its 16' further away from the fish I am trying to fool.
It does take getting used to. There are strakes on most skiffs that help keep it going straight on the pole and they work with the TM too.
That being said, I rarely use a TM.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Curious on feedback for placing a trolling motor on a Maverick HPX-V.

I have my platform at the very tip of the bow, which I really like. To leave this as is, I would have to install a trolling motor either port or starboard side of the bow.

Any feedback on performance with this type of set up?

Much appreciated!
If you and the folks you fish with fly fish, put it on the side of the boat that correlates to your casting hand. I'm right handed, I strip with my left hand, so line is more likely to end up on the left side of the deck (even though I use a bucket, invariably there are times you miss it), If the TM is on the left side, it becomes a line catcher.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Offset is the way to go. My last two skiffs had toe rails that I removed... filled the screw holes with six 10 and then covered with line tacks.
I like this idea. Would cover the look of the filled holes on the deck and would give me room for trolling motor.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,808 Posts
I put mine on the port side. Reason being is that when I tie up at my dock, I always tie up starboard side to the dock. I also didn't want to have the push pole and the trolling motor crowding the same side. I'm not concerned much about fly line tangling the troller any more than it does anything else up front. We are using a line mat or a bucket if it is windy. My last boat had the troller mounted center of the bow and invariably someone would be standing in the way of me seeing the control head. Now that I'm running an offset mounted trolling motor, I wouldn't want it center mounted. Only consideration for center mounting would be to use a Power Pux mount which cannot be guide mounted according to Power Pux.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts