Trolling motor mount

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Tarponator, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Tarponator

Tarponator I Love microskiff.com!

I have a blue point trolling motor mount that I am wanting to mount on a Mitzi 17. The problem I'm running into is that I can't reach far enough under the top deck to get nuts on the bolts. I have approx 3 feet to the bow and only 2.5" space to get my arm into. I have thought about using some sort of anchor bolts, but I am not sure how secure they would be with the weight of a trolling motor. If this doesn't make sense I can post pics of what I mean latter. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

i personally have never used them and would preffer to thru bolt a trolling motor mount with nice big fender washers as i seem to have a problem finding all the submerged hazzards :-[ but i know they sell anchors just for your problem

3. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

use some temporary glue and glue the nuts to dowels you should be able to reach ...or rig a wrench on the end of a piece of conduit hold nut in wrench with wax or putty ...

.....Dave

4. Tarponator

Tarponator I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a try.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Cut small access hole for the job
    then install a cover plate over the access hole.

6. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

That's kinda what I did on my skiff with a broken hose fitting that there was no way to get to.
    I cut a access hole, the I covered it with a circle hatch.

It'll make repairs or removal a breeze in the future.

7. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

x2 [smiley=1-thumbsup2.gif]

8. Capt Dan Medina

Capt Dan Medina Well-Known Member

make sure you back plate it.... you dont want it bouncing around in a chop or while running it and get stuck on something and it ripping off.... I had a picture of a boat i saw in flamingo that it happened to (when my harddrive died, lost pic).... needless to say he wasnt a happy camper....