Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a trolling motor and after the first use I started getting very little power. Then when I was cleaning the boat I saw what looked like rust coming out of the head unit.

Long story short it sounds like I am getting water in my lower unit, and it will need to be replaced. Does anyone have experience doing this? You can buy all the parts on Minn Kota's website, but I wanted to weigh how much of a pain it is versus taking it to a shop.
Would love to hear everyone's feedback, if any.
Thanks!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
Don't know your location, however, there is a great factory endorsed shop you might call: Pamlico Tackle, NC. I also found the factory to be helpful trouble shooting, central time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
I recently installed a trolling motor and after the first use I started getting very little power. Then when I was cleaning the boat I saw what looked like rust coming out of the head unit.

Long story short it sounds like I am getting water in my lower unit, and it will need to be replaced. Does anyone have experience doing this? You can buy all the parts on Minn Kota's website, but I wanted to weigh how much of a pain it is versus taking it to a shop.
Would love to hear everyone's feedback, if any.
Thanks!
I don't know how deep of a rebuild you're planning on doing but I replaced the seals on an old TM's lu last month - very easy. And easy to locate parts from that website

1 - 4 of 4 Posts