Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Was wondering if anyone ever used lightweight lithium ion batteries for ur trolling motor.? It’s 30lb thrust minn Kota transom mount (its on the bow) on a 13ft gheenoe. Both used. Currently have a multipurpose agm. Heavy and I don’t think I’m getting enough run time before battery dies. About five hours. Only the bilge and trolling motor running off it. Ty for the help.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Do a search on here lots of threads about this topic. Then make sure you do your homework. There are lots of Li ion batteries out there. None are cheap. But ...well just be careful. I am considering going that way but in my research there appears to be one brand that is universally thought of positively. But they are insane pricey.
https://www.lithiumpros.com/

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
I know I’ve heard lots of good things about lithium’s. When Barker introduced the 26’ bay boat at the Miami boat show they were literally throwing a battery around. When I got my hands on it it felt fake. They are really cool. The thing I would be curious about with them is when they go dead. I know my Lithium batteries on power tools work awesome annnnd then dead. They didn’t show signs of being dead and needing recharged until they shut off. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this.

I’d like to eventually step up to them too. This would save hundreds of pounds in my boat since I have four group 31s.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I know I’ve heard lots of good things about lithium’s. When Barker introduced the 26’ bay boat at the Miami boat show they were literally throwing a battery around. When I got my hands on it it felt fake. They are really cool. The thing I would be curious about with them is when they go dead. I know my Lithium batteries on power tools work awesome annnnd then dead. They didn’t show signs of being dead and needing recharged until they shut off. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this.

I’d like to eventually step up to them too. This would save hundreds of pounds in my boat since I have four group 31s.
This is how a good battery should work. It runs at close to full power until its dead. This is one of the big operating advantages of a Li ion over other batteries. I guess you could say you like that you can tell a battery is winding down so you know its needing a recharge but the useful run time of a Li ion is just much better than any other battery type.

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
This is how a good battery should work. It runs at close to full power until its dead. This is one of the big operating advantages of a Li ion over other batteries. I guess you could say you like that you can tell a battery is winding down so you know its needing a recharge but the useful run time of a Li ion is just much better than any other battery type.
Correct. It’s best on the items it’s running as well. I guess you just find out how long they run one day and get an idea and base remaining battery charge on time.

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
In fact, my trolling motor has one.
MinnKota? Does it indicate the remote batteries or the actual motor batteries? I assumed it was the remote batteries. I only had my MinnKota for a few months.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
Motor batteries. 4 lights, full charge, 3 lights 3/4 charge, etc..

Reactions: ifsteve

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Motor batteries. 4 lights, full charge, 3 lights 3/4 charge, etc..
Pretty cool. If the Ulterra worked right I would have spent a little more time with it. Good to know. Well, with that being said I stand corrected and have been on some boats with a battery percentage gauge/meter (As long as they had an ipilot)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Lithium batteries will show 12.8 or thereabouts until they stop running. Which built in meter will accurately tell you how many amp hours remain?

I may have gone overboard on my 24v system. Two 100ah lifepo4 Battle-born batteries. I don’t think I’ll run them down in a typical day.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
Lithium batteries will show 12.8 or thereabouts until they stop running. Which built in meter will accurately tell you how many amp hours remain?

I may have gone overboard on my 24v system. Two 100ah lifepo4 Battle-born batteries. I don’t think I’ll run them down in a typical day.
It won't show amp hours remaining, you sorta have to extrapolate that. I have 2- 50 ah batteries for an 80# Ulterra and they last for awhile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do a search on here lots of threads about this topic. Then make sure you do your homework. There are lots of Li ion batteries out there. None are cheap. But ...well just be careful. I am considering going that way but in my research there appears to be one brand that is universally thought of positively. But they are insane pricey.
https://www.lithiumpros.com/
Wow those batteries are expensive. Do they have a poor mans version lol. I can see them for 3 or 4 batterry setup to offset weight if u have the cash but even then prolly not worth that price tag. No meter on the motor. Got it used with the boat. I saw some lithium ions for atv etc that I was hoping might work.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check out powersonic batteries. I have the PS series 55ah on my saltmarsh 1444 with a 55lb minnkota. So far, so good, I’ve run it hard and it lasts a long time. They are very compact and good weight for an amg. One of the other members is running a 40ah on his and recommend it to me.

·
Brandon, FL
10,096 Posts
SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries are the poor mans lithium.

Get one with as many amp hours you can afford.

·
Brandon, FL
10,096 Posts
Aren’t AGM batteries better for same price? Sorry, battery newb here.
If you do not use a battery for extended periods of time the AGM will hold the charge better. Months not days. AGM is more expensive than SLA. SLA also comes in deep cycle, able to live through complete discharge repeatedly.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
686 Posts
They make deep cycle AGMs too dont they? Lithium is just incredibly expensive and I really doubt you'll be getting much more than the 5 HOURS of trolling time you're getting now. You need to pay particular attention to the amp-hours of the batteries you're comparing, a lot of times they try to advertise these lithium batteries as if they're superior to most of the flooded batteries guys are using and they're not, at least not without spending a TON more money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts