Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I tried West Marine. Called them again today. They don't have what I want. I'm looking for a 55lbs terrova or Xi3 in 54". Some places have the 48" in stock, but I'm not sure that will work well with my skiff due to the proud bow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried West Marine. Called them again today. They don't have what I want. I'm looking for a 55lbs terrova or Xi3 in 54". Some places have the 48" in stock, but I'm not sure that will work well with my skiff due to the proud bow.
They don’t make a 48in terrova. Terrova is 54 or 60. Powerdrive comes in 48. I ordered my trolling motor two months ago from trollingmotors.net received within two weeks 54” terrova 12v

·
Registered
30 Posts
Firecat, i just double checked for you with WestMarine and they have (13) 55lb riptide terrovas ipilot in stock at there warehouse in SC. I purchased one last night. I’d call them back.

·
BBA Counselor
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I might buy one anyway and cancel my other order. I don't know if the terrova is really worth $250 more (the mount is more expensive too) then the Xi3, but I'd like it sooner then later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was in a similar situation earlier and a friend mentioned Rhodan. I believe they are back in full production.

I'm more than pleased with the Rhodan performance.

·
BBA Counselor
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Rhodans are out of stock too, and they are a bit more then I was hoping to spend.

I was about to buy the Terrova from West Marine when I realized they hit me with sales tax. So it would be about $370 more then the Xi3 I already have ordered. Didn't seem worth it to shave off 2 weeks on delivery.

Not trying to be cheap, but I'm way over budget on everything thanks to covid now.

·
BBA Counselor
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ha, so FML. Wells Fargo held the charge in pending, and then canceled it today. So now if I want to reorder I'll be further down the que to maybe get it in May.

Called Trollingmotors.net and he doesn't have anything for me now, or an estimate.

Tried west marine again, they actually pulled the terrova and xi3 off of thier site because they don't have a timeframe of restock. They do have the powerdrive though.

Bass Pro has nothing too.

Not sure what to do here. Is the terrova really that much better then the powerdrive?

·
BBA Counselor
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have found the Xi5 in stock. I didn't think it would work because of the fangs, but looking at installs now it will be ok I think. I might go that way.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
07 Ranger Banshee tiller 40 Hatsu 4stroke
21 Posts
Firecat,
I have the power drive i-Pilot on my skiff and I absolutely regret not going with the terrova the deploy system is terrible other than that it’s great but when I buy again it won’t be a power drive.

·
BBA Counselor
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Firecat,
I have the power drive i-Pilot on my skiff and I absolutely regret not going with the terrova the deploy system is terrible other than that it’s great but when I buy again it won’t be a power drive.
Your opinion seems to be on par with most reviews I've read. And it doesn't have the jog feature.

After looking more into the xi5 I think I'll wait for the xi3. Many reviews said it's better for smaller boats and the mount seems to function better too. I was able to reconfirm my order for the xi3, but won't know if it is gonna really happen for a few weeks. Fingers 🤞

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your opinion seems to be on par with most reviews I've read. And it doesn't have the jog feature.

After looking more into the xi5 I think I'll wait for the xi3. Many reviews said it's better for smaller boats and the mount seems to function better too. I was able to reconfirm my order for the xi3, but won't know if it is gonna really happen for a few weeks. Fingers 🤞
Also the steering motor on the terrova is more durable and it is easier to replace. On the powerdrive, the stainless pivot pin is in contact with the aluminum of the steer assy, so you usually have to cut or break things to get it off, pain in the ass. Terrova has plastic bushings. And this is usually the first thing to go.

The armature and the L/U and the GPS head are mostly the same. Also the powerdrive does not come with the heading sensor which is used for the JOG feature. It isnt essential, but is helpful in fine tuning your spotlock.

One advantage of the powerdrive is that you can mount the quick release bracket further back on the frame (still using 6 bolts on the frame) allowing you to mount the puck further back on your bow and clearing the rub rail.

·
Registered
533 Posts
On the Rhodan, the price includes the quick release bracket and a 5" ram mount for use to stabilize the head/shaft while running in chop...so factor that into the price difference. Also, they used to simply keep a list for their backorders, then just call you when ready with the opportunity to purchase...so no harm in getting on that list if that is still the procedure.

Terrova over the Powerdrive all day long!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts