Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17' Maverick HPXT in texas and am looking to add a trolling motor. I want a minn kota Ipilot (probably the PowerDrive) and want it to be strong enough to last a good while on the beach front.

so, question is do I want a 12V or 24V? I think the 55lbs of thrust on a 12V will be enough thrust considering the weight of the skiff, but is it necessary to have a 24V if you want to troll the beach front all day?

Next question, would a 12V 55lb thrust TM with a single lithium battery last longer than a 24V 70lb thurst TM with 2 regular batteries? I understand theres more to consider there (weight, price, etc). But does anyone have experience with a smaller TM (12V, 55lb thurst) and a single lithium battery?

Any help is appreciated!

-Patrick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
24v as well.

I wish I would have used this instead of two separate batteries.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/50ah-24v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/
Walter Lee, can you help me understand how a battery like that lasts longer than 2 traditional deep cycles? at 50Ah, its likely much less than the Ah of your combined 2 12V deep cycles. I keep hearing that lithium ion lasts much longer on a single charge, but the math isn't adding up. Or... do they not last longer?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Walter Lee, can you help me understand how a battery like that lasts longer than 2 traditional deep cycles? at 50Ah, its likely much less than the Ah of your combined 2 12V deep cycles. I keep hearing that lithium ion lasts much longer on a single charge, but the math isn't adding up. Or... do they not last longer?
Just space mostly. I have two group 27 100ah Lithium batteries that is probably overkill for a normal day of fishing. Guys I know are getting 8 hours easy from 24volt 50ah lithium set ups. Plus that one 24 volt battery is half the price of the two 12v 100ah batteries.

From what I understand is that lithium’s hold their voltage throughout its cycle from full to dead. Traditional deep cycles will lose voltage throughout their cycle and your trolling motor will not function under a certain voltage, although the batteries won’t actually be fully discharged.

I know that traditional deep cycles will run a 24v system all day long, but what is wrong with shedding weight, having more space, or just trying something new.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Because LiOns charge much faster off the outboard. Not often will you run a trolling motor very long before cranking up and running to another spot. Leave the outboard idling a while and they will charge quickly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 12v on HPX-T. I have yet to run out of battery but I only use it if the wind kicks up, I wouldn't trust it's power out at the jetty if the wind were to kick up.

My biggest regret is not mounting on the same side as my push pole, now both sides of the boat have docking hazards. If I ever get the boat refurbed or new non skid I will be switching.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the replies. sounds like 24V is the winner, and after researching the prices of Lithium ion, I think i'll just pick up traditional deep cycle to start...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
I have a 24v Ulterra on my Vantage with 2 Odyssey PC1200's. Can fish all day with TM and not run out of juice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts