Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,001 Posts
While most fish triples on the buoys- at least half a year off the coast of the 'glades there are no buoys (stone crabbers have to remove them during off-season) so we fish them around structure. If you can find them - they're suckers for flies and small leadheads with Gulp tails - and some of them are pretty fair sized.....

· Registered
6,001 Posts
We either sight fish them around structure or simply work the structure (usually downed trees along shorelines) with Whitewater Clousers in size 2/0.... Find a fish - make a close presentation - then do your best to keep them out of the structure. The ones we're working are up to around ten pounds.

Markers and similar things also hold them -but you have to be the first one that day or the fish will already have been cleaned off by local anglers (out of the Chokoloskee area) that know how to work them with bait...

Here's a pic of that pattern (my own variation on the Clouser original pattern..)

Note the wire weedguard - very handy when working around snag filled places - the fish don't even notice it at all...

· Registered
6,001 Posts
I’ve never heard of anyone using “dummy floats”... During crab season folks fish the floats and when the floats aren’t around don’t fish triples much - that’s why I mentioned the inshore alternative... One other thing few take advantage of is the way triples will actually “ride the tide” on the incoming in some places - right at the surface so you can actually sight fish them if you know where to look and are paying attention...

· Registered
6,001 Posts
If your attractor can be seen... it will be gone the next time you visit... Any kind of float on a submerged attraction is a dead giveaway as well. Just another of those "ask me how I know" propositions... I swear - even when you're well outside Park boundaries concealment of a "made spot" is essential if you want to catch the first thing off of one..

Now if only I knew where everyone else's was....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.