Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from tampa, taking a trip the Charleston September 9th-15th for the first time. Im bringing the skiff ( east cape evox), staying by Wappoo creek.
I spend most of my time poling for redfish. From what I read about Charleston, winter is best, but I’m hoping I can make something happen.

It’s during a new moon. Should I focus on the low tide or the high tide? High tides are just over 6’. Will this be enough to get some flood tide action in?

Any advice on areas to fish and how to fish them would be much appreciated!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response! Really happy to hear the tides are enough to flood.. does Wappoo boat ramp seem like a good starting off point or is it worth dropping at another nearby boat ramp?

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,890 Posts
Wappoo is a good ramp; current can rip through pretty strong, but it's plenty manageable if you expect it. Most ramps around here are crowded, especially on weekends, and the no-wake zone in the cut is long in the summer. Not sure exactly when they shorten it back up.

You're good proximity to the Stono and the Ashley if you want to fish that area. The harbor can make for a less than comfy ride sometimes, so if you want to fish the Cooper or the Wando I would look at launching from Remleys.

My personal opinion, you'll probably have an easier time finding fish at low tide than high. You can cover a lot more ground -- trying to find a flooded flat with the right amount of water can take some trial and error, which takes time. It's frustrating to get up on a flat that looks perfect, but the water is either too high to see fish or too low for them to want to be there. If you do fish any low tides, look for mud flats and/or oysters, and you've got a good chance of seeing fish pushing/waking or swimming with their backs out of the water.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not to
Wappoo is a good ramp; current can rip through pretty strong, but it's plenty manageable if you expect it. Most ramps around here are crowded, especially on weekends, and the no-wake zone in the cut is long in the summer. Not sure exactly when they shorten it back up.

You're good proximity to the Stono and the Ashley if you want to fish that area. The harbor can make for a less than comfy ride sometimes, so if you want to fish the Cooper or the Wando I would look at launching from Remleys.

My personal opinion, you'll probably have an easier time finding fish at low tide than high. You can cover a lot more ground -- trying to find a flooded flat with the right amount of water can take some trial and error, which takes time. It's frustrating to get up on a flat that looks perfect, but the water is either too high to see fish or too low for them to want to be there. If you do fish any low tides, look for mud flats and/or oysters, and you've got a good chance of seeing fish pushing/waking or swimming with their backs out of the water.
Not to mention finding the “right”flat. Not all spartina flats are created equal, and even flats that seem ideal will often not hold fish. I like putting in at wappoo when I can get on a skiff, and I enjoy fishing both rivers. Fish are around, you just have to find them. If you’re gonna fish weekends, the earlier the better, and the further from people the better. Also the dolphins are assholes on the Ashley. Counted 10 of them in about a mile stretch around a few creeks I was fishing Sunday, put a serious damper on convincing fish to eat flies, haha.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
549 Posts
Exactly what the last two said. Low tide is easily more productive then trying to find the right flat on a flood tide. Reds and flounder will usually hold in creeks on a low tide.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate the advice. You’ve definitely given me the confidence boost that I needed for the trip.
I’ll plan to stay away from the weekends and focus on the weekdays and lower tides! How to report back with some pictures

·
Registered
997 Posts
Marsh hen season opens Sept 15. You could cover Stono River flats with shotgun and flyrod in hand.
while the season will be open a good tailing tide and a good hen tide are different.
A good hen tide will be a very extreme high that other than a window when flooding in does not produce a lot of good fishing time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a successful trip to the low country, with a huge bonus Thursday and Friday surfing “the washout” at folly beach courtesy of hurricane Larry.
Fished 2 mid-day floods and 2 morning low tides with success each time. Like mentioned, lots of action on the morning lows. Had some incredible moments with reds exposing themselves in the inches of water.
Thanks for the advice and big thanks to @ElLobo with the DM on a area to focus on fishing. Appreciate it man.

Charleston is awesome, I’ll be back
Sky Cloud Vertebrate Plant Sunglasses
Water Sky Fisherman Fish Lake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts