Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yammy 60 2 stroke. The tilt/trim has been getting sketchy and not wanting to work sometimes. I don't think it's the switch at the controls, because when it's not working, I can hear some solenoid-y type clicking coming from back at the motor. I don't think it's the tilt/trim unit itself, because when it's working, it's working fine. What do y'all think, solenoid/relay type issue? Try to troubleshoot or just replace that stuff?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check and clean all of your grounds! If you are hearing a click at the motor when you hit the switch then the switch is working. Chances are you have a bad ground or the relay/s are on their way out.
Hose them down with spray type electronics cleaner?

B

·
0 Posts
Hose them down with spray type electronics cleaner?
No! Remove them and clean them with a wire brush, steel wool, 220/320 grit sand paper and re install. Then hose them down with corrosion inhibitor of your choice. If it still just clicks, disconnect the tnt unit from relay and test relay output using a volt meter. If output is good then your tnt motor or wiring are at fault. If voltage is low or non existent then it’s the relay/s. Clean those grounds before testing as a bad ground can/will cause a bad reading.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No! Remove them and clean them with a wire brush, steel wool, 220/320 grit sand paper and re install. Then hose them down with corrosion inhibitor of your choice. If it still just clicks, disconnect the tnt unit from relay and test relay output using a volt meter. If output is good then your tnt motor or wiring are at fault. If voltage is low or non existent then it’s the relay/s. Clean those grounds before testing as a bad ground can/will cause a bad reading.
Come on man, lemme have an easy fix!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,362 Posts
If the tilt/trim motor is running with either the up/down switch and only tilts/trims intermittently, add fluid and check for leaks on one of the three rams.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,631 Posts
There are three parts to a electro-hydraulic trim tilt system.

1) The controls side of the electrical system from the buttons to the relays under your engine cowling.
2) The pump motor side of the electrical system from the relays to the hydraulic pump motor.
3) The hydraulic side including the pump, fluid, and cylinder ram.
Each system has its own input and output requirements to function per design.

Worst case scenario is you loosen the left hand threaded screw for the hydraulic ram by pass with a screwdriver and tilt your engine manually. Then use the pin to trim the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fluid, motor and rams seem to be good. Looks like its my old nemesis, electrical stuff. It will be a good weekend project for me on Sunday if I can get the axles replaced in my car on Saturday.

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
Mine suddenly went out without warning. The friday before last it worked just fine then when I went out the other day, nothing, just the solenoid clicking. I will check the ground this evening (clean it up real good)! I hope that cures it!!! A 2004 with only 232 hours and runs like a top! What can I say though, my fishing holes are close by...

Michael

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, status update. I pulled the relay, cleaned up all the contacts nice and shiny, tightened everything down and reinstalled. Now it doesn't work at all. I just get some clicking at the relay. Stupid question: what ground am I looking for? It the relay grounded by it being bolted to the motor? I'm open to ideas, as a new relay is like $150.

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
Mine ended up being the motor. The previous owner coated it with JB Weld and it worked, for a little bit anyway.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ohms check the switch. First rule of electrical problems: Check the easy stuff first. Fuse, switch, etc. (Tiny bubbles in the wine........make boat owning easier.....)
Yep, switch is good, I checked that first. I'm getting some clicking at the solenoid but no juice. I think my next step is to run power directly to the TT motor to make sure that's not the issue. I learned to check simple stuff first when my old Bronco was running hot...replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses and radiator...it turned out to be a bad temp gauge...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts