Trim Tabs on a Small Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by flaco, Mar 18, 2009.

1. flaco

flaco Well-Known Member

I've got a 14' skiff, and I'd like to look into installing some small, manual trim tabs.

I came across this:

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these, or any small simple tab system? Is it worth even considering? My boat tends to porpose under certain conditions, and I think it should help it to get on plane faster, right?

2. bw77

bw77 I Love microskiff.com!

These look pretty cool

http://tsgcustom.com/TrimTabs.aspx

3. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

I have seen some GREAT reviews on the smart tabs. In my opinion they will work great for boats as long as you don't fish very shallow water. The installation manual instructs you to install them at a 25 degree down angle. Now depending on the placement on the hull the edge of the tabs maybe lower than the keel. In some of the places I fish I need to slide over sand bars to get to where I want to fish. Having the tabs below the hull shouldn't be a problem because they will retrack as you slide them over the sand. Now here is my problem what if you want to spin your boat, or move your boat backwards, the tabs will dig into the sand.

I love Lenco Ele Trim Tabs, but I didn't know if I needed Ele, and I didn't have the money for them. So I decided to do it in steps. My full size adjustable tabs use Lenco actuators mounts to mount the turnbuckles. I did this so if I decided I wanted to add Lenco Actuators all I needed to do was replace the turnbuckles with actuators.

4. tailchaser

tailchaser Well-Known Member

Don't go with the smart tabs... I have a set and hate them, replaced them with hydraulic tabs found on craigslist for $75... Best damn thing I ever did.. It's so easy to change the ride for water conditions.

I put the smart tabs on because my boat porpoised at high speeds.. The smart tabs gave me very little bow rise to plane, but at above 20 mph, they basically had no improvement on the bouncing.. And, yes they will drag going over a sandbar

The bennet hydraulics make it ride like a dream...

Follow tom's advice, use the turnbuckle's for now,with the lenco or bennett tabs, and add actuators later if you want..

5. fish4reds

fish4reds Well-Known Member

I've got a set of Bennetts on my skiff and I wouldn't know what to do without them. There will be tab's on all my future boats, nough said. ;)

6. skinnywater3

skinnywater3 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Lencos on my Gladesmen and I love them.

Chad

7. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

have you considered a trim tab for your lower unit? something like a sting ray trim tab?

8. flaco

flaco Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the good advice...and yes, I do have a hydrofoil installed now..

Tom, I'll give you a call about your adjustable tabs...sounds like the best choice for a simple solution.