Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost the control of my trim tabs yesterday. I can hear the motor running with both switches but not getting any movement out of them. I noticed while running a few days ago that one side seemed like it was not moving much but now I’m getting nothing. Low fluid? This is my first boat with tabs

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i should have just checked it out before posting....having not known what kind of tabs they were or how they operate, i did not know where to begin looking. Did some digging and a little reading, they are bennet tabs and i took off the housing cover and checked fluid level- no fluid in the tank. Added some fluid and they are working like normal.

Is this normal to have to add fluid occasionally?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
No it's not normal... That system has had a leak somewhere...

You'll be able to trace it by simply feeling the deck anywhere around the junctions - it will feel like someone carefully oiled it if you've been leaking hydraulic fluid (another of those "ask me how I know" propositions since I've been running Bennetts on my old skiff for almost 30 years now). The leak or seepage will either be at the pump (feel the underside of the pump), at the fittings (the ones at the pump and the one at each actuator), or from a crack or fracture in one of the two lines (one for each actuator..). Once you've added fluid at the pump place a vertical piece of tape on the side of the reservoir and mark your new fluid level. By checking the reservoir height against that pencil mark you'll be able to see how quickly (or slowly) you're losing fluid...

To put it mildly the slightest hydraulic fluid leak makes a mess (and the stuff will creep up anything that will absorb fluids...). You might get lucky and find that the fittings at the pump have simply loosened allowing fluid to leak... and that tightening them will cure any problem...

Whenever I've had a breach in the system I've always used a rag with mineral spirits to clean up any surfaces that have fluid on them. A deck with hydraulic fluid on it is a dangerous place to stand since it will be like someone greased the area... By the way - the fitting on each actuator is hidden under the actuator at the top where it's attached to your boat's transom - you have to remove the top of each actuator to be able to access it at all...

Hope this helps - aren't boats fun?

·
Banned
276 Posts
In addition to what Bob said, you can add UV dye to the reservoir and cycle the system a few times to disperse it throughout. You can find the leak with a small UV flashlight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts