Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Trim tab anode

1293 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  lemaymiami
So I ordered a new trim tab anode for my 50hp Tohatsu 2 stroke and went to unscrew the old one and the bolt breaks halfway but still sticking out about 3/8”. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and let it sit for a couple of hours. I then tried to use vice grips on the remainder of bolt and it doesn’t budge. Done this three times and nothing. Was supposed to go fishing in the morning for a two day trip.
Question is do you think it will harm anything if I ran it without it or should I do something different to try and remove??
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6,002 Posts
Now you know how marine mechanics earn their pay... What will be needed to clear that old broken bolt will be a "hot wrench" (a torch, a wrench, and a hammer...) and it will be all in a day's work for anyone that works on outboard motors for a living...

As noted above, run without it then have it sorted out the next time you're in for maintenance at your dealer or tech's place...

Aren't boats fun?

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now you know how marine mechanics earn their pay... What will be needed to clear that old broken bolt will be a "hot wrench" (a torch, a wrench, and a hammer...) and it will be all in a day's work for anyone that works on outboard motors for a living...

As noted above, run without it then have it sorted out the next time you're in for maintenance at your dealer or tech's place...

Aren't boats fun?
Tons of fun

· Registered
2,918 Posts
A bernzo from the hardware store should do the trick. A little 50/50 acetone and ATF in a spray bottle is a good penetrator.

If it makes you feel any better I broke mine off inside the lower unit. When I finally got around to fixing it I had to pull the prop shaft to get the lower into a drill press.

· Registered
6,002 Posts
They're called EZ Outs and they work just fine until you're dealing with not only salt corrosion - but also the natural electrolysis between dissimilar metals...

One other small tip I was taught years ago for bolts around the salt... a bit of Nev'r Seize on each bolt - not the copper based formula - the other one. Then when you want it to move - it will. I also keep a bit of Nev'r Seize on all the lugs on each wheel of my trailer...

For those not familiar with this kind of silver looking grease - you can probably find it in with plumbing supplies since plumbers need it...

Starting years ago I always made a point of hanging out with whoever was working on my motors - if possible.. Learned quite a bit that way over time...

Aren't boats fun?

· Registered
6,002 Posts
I still have my thirty year old (at least that old) squeeze bottle of Nev'r Seize. I use so little of it that my usual dispenser is a very small bladed screwdriver - with just a dab on each bolt you're in business. Yes, the stuff will stain and is a PITA to remove. I find that a bit of mineral spirits on a rag will clean it off of my hands though - at least enough that normal handwashing will remove any remaining stains...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.