Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Trialer LED light issues

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  lucasmccurdy 
#1 ·
My Aluminum Continental torsion trailer has been a fantastic trailer.  Very easy to dry launch.  But the driver side break light only comes on when breaks are depressed or blinker engaged - it will not illuminate when  head lights are on.  Same thing with the LED light over the licence plate.  From some basic blog reading it sounds like it could be a ground but past cleaning the connections I have no idea what to do.  Any suggestions on fix or a reputable place to take it in Orlando?

#3 ·
I will try and do a more thorough inspection on the wire. The trailer sits so low to the ground its hard to get under it. The ground is connected to the plug - not the trailer. Running a new wire sounds like a pain.

#7 ·
I had to clean the ball and the draw bar..and also clean where it was inserted into my hitch to get mine working properly. Lots of rust had built up inside the orifice from salt water launches

That was even after the white wire read Ground properly at the plug...on both ends. ?????? ....

Trailer lighting can be such a strange mystery.

Rich

#8 ·
Net and Duck - thanks for the insight. So truck and trailer are on the newer side and I have checked for corrosion and both seem in great working condition. I still need to check entire wire. crazy wiring issues drive me nuts. There must be something blocking function that I have overlooked.

#9 ·
rewiring that trailer is easier than u think and will most likely solve your problem if it is a ground issue and if the wires over a few years old it wouldn't hurt to change it anyways, launch your boat at the ramp and swap out the wire in the parking lot ezpz :cool:

#10 ·
Just had the same kind of problems with my trailer. Took it down to the marina where I work, launched the boat then pulled it with the lift and stuck in one of the buildings for a couple of days while I spent a couple evenings after work putting a new wire harness on the trailer. 4 side marker lights and a tail light on each side. Silicone, heat shrink butt connectors, then shrink tube, should be set for quite a while! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.