Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an odd question, but has anyone got any tips on a really good travel ready stripping basket?

I have never used one but will be traveling to a location where all the info I see says they are a must.

I see a wide assortment of stripping baskets available.... but I have no idea what to look for in one. Is a hard basket better than a collapsible and I should just pack around it?

What makes a stripping basket good?
The size of the basket? Water drainage? The belt/ comfort?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
All travel baskets suck in my opinion. They sit too high on the waste and aren’t big or deep enough. I have a couple old jw outfitters that I never use because of these reasons and I haven’t needed them either. They are ok for holding your line and walking around. Just don’t try to strip into them while fishing. Used as more of a line holder than a stripping basket and they are ok.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you can find one, pick up a Mangrove Hip Shooter. It doesn’t pack down as small as the collapsible baskets, but it’s infinitely more useful. I’ve had one for many years and it’s been all over the east coast with me.

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,349 Posts
All travel baskets suck in my opinion. They sit too high on the waste and aren’t big or deep enough. I have a couple old jw outfitters that I never use because of these reasons and I haven’t needed them either. They are ok for holding your line and walking around. Just don’t try to strip into them while fishing. Used as more of a line holder than a stripping basket and they are ok.
I couldn't have said it any better. I bought one for a trip to the Gulf Coast last year. It was about useless. I have since tried it while in my boat and it was actually in the way. No good to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wood Tree Branch Plant Twig
Water Tree Font Shadow Soil
Here’s what i use instead of a basket. To travel I just cut off the zip-ties before packing and put new ones on when I get to where I’m going. Folds down flat as a pancake. 12.5” wide. I se this for all scenarios, wading, bow of the boat, jetties. It allows a more natural strip down to the side instead of trying to intentionally stuff line into something waist high.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
View attachment 71458 View attachment 71460 Here’s what i use instead of a basket. To travel I just cut off the zip-ties before packing and put new ones on when I get to where I’m going. Folds down flat as a pancake. 12.5” wide. I se this for all scenarios, wading, bow of the boat, jetties. It allows a more natural strip down to the side instead of trying to intentionally stuff line into something waist high.
You have any action pics of this?

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,339 Posts
We've had lots of conversations on this very subject. Just do a search here on the Fly Fishing forum and plug your search criteria in.

For actual travel by air and such and packing light, I found this little folding pop-up basket very useful, tho the wire will eventually rust is you don't rinse it good. But it's cheap and easy to pack in a back pack. It folds down to 6" x 1" and stows in a little round zip pouch.

https://www.amazon.com/Bajer-Design...ocphy=9012292&hvtargid=pla-302389620431&psc=1

I cut those handles off, cut a little slot on each side to run a cheap belt thru it and there you go!

Shore Recreational fishing Fishing Recreation Vacation

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic. I appreciate the tips and home made solutions. I will be wading.

I appreciate all the replies. I had tried a search, so sorry if this is something that has been beat to death.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
Sea Level used to make a foam hip shooter with a removable bottom similar to the Mangrove that can be collapsed and packable but I think they are no longer in business although you might find one on the net.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.