Transom repair

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Kevin Booker, Oct 22, 2017.

1. PG350

PG350 I Love microskiff.com!

As far as paint i have used regular rustoleum paint for my last three boats and it is cheap, strong and last great as long as you prep the surface. Also touch ups later are a breeze. Not for 20,000 boats but great for 1000 boats. I used rustoleum topside and cannot tell difference from regular. Also just FYI it takes long time to fully cure especially if humid. I would give it a full week to fully harden.

Kevin Booker likes this.
  2. Kevin Booker

Kevin Booker Well-Known Member

thanks. With this level of boat and after what I’ve spent that will work for me. Did you just use it inside

3. Kevin Booker

No worries. Thanks for the info. I picked up 6 oz and rounded of the edges on the core after grinding off the voids left were the 12 wouldn’t bend. Sanded the transom today. So annoying. Took a long time. Lots off small little holes. Argh. So will those fill with a few coats of neat Epoxy and quickfair?

yobata likes this.
  4. PG350

I used rustoleum on outside and inside. I used safety blue for outside. I like their topside off white color also for the inside. Im building a mini camper and am using rustoleum for that also.

5. Kevin Booker

Ok. I figured rustoleum boat bottom would be fine for my touch up on the rear skin. Did you add hardener? If I decide to remove the middle bench and put more work into it, I would probably go yobatas route with the epoxy and graphite.

6. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Let's see some photos

7. Kevin Booker

8. Kevin Booker

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  9. yobata

Looks good. Yes, do your collars before painting. I don't know if there is a proper amount to over drill, but I usually like to leave enough of a collar to not worry about drilling too close to the wood. So for a 1/2" thru bolt, maybe drill a 1" hole, fill with thickened epoxy, let cure, then drill thru the center to appropriate size leaving 1/4" collar. I also prefer to put some neat epoxy on the wood before filling with thickened epoxy.

You don't have to widen the holes to fill screw holes, just use less thickening agent (wood flour or cabosil or whatever you are using) or even straight neat epoxy if it won't run out depending on location of course...

Kevin Booker likes this.
  10. Kevin Booker

Did you guys use a transom plate when you mounted your outboards. I had one before but it’s bent out of shape. The bolts on this mercury are so tight together the it doesn’t really work either. I’ve been looking but haven’t seen any that look like what I want. Any suggestions?

11. PG350

I also used epoxy / graphite on the bottom before. I works great. If the boat will not be in the water long, the no bottom paint needed. I would use gel coat or graphite/epoxy for the bottom.

12. Kevin Booker

CBA5ABBE-0642-4E1F-B267-97644D25B73D.jpeg ACC9EEB8-0695-4890-9744-52F2E30D6BD2.jpeg
    I will just be touching up for now with what is already there. Later I will do he graphite. I think my wife is over the dust, time and money. It’s a little messy for now but we will see how she turns out.

yobata likes this.
  13. yobata

Probably should have mentioned this before, but I use clear packing tape to 1: hold the thickened epoxy in place, and 2: leave a smoother finish. The tape peels right off after the epoxy cures, and makes the cleanup/sanding a bit easier

Kevin Booker likes this.
  14. Kevin Booker

Damn. Didn’t think of that. Next time.

yobata likes this.
  15. Kevin Booker

I know you used epoxy with the graphite for your bottom, What did you use for your exterior white? I assume epoxy like Interlux bottom epoxy. Is it possible or feasible to color the epoxy I have and use to paint the transom exterior? I really want to do the bottom with the Graphite but I don't think that is happening right now. HOA, finding people to help flip and the annoyance of all the sanding. plus the fishing is starting to heat up.

16. yobata

West Systems Epoxy sells a white epoxy pigment (501 I think), but here is an interesting article that mentions the ability to use art store pigments. If anything I would try it out on a test piece and see how it comes out...

http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/adding-pigments-to-west-system-epoxy/