Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a local boat lift that I would like to use. Unfortunately my Mitzi does not have any lifting eyes installed on the Transom. I have some 3/8" "U-bolts" or lifting eyes, 5200, and some plastic sheet to help avoid cranking down on the transom. I plan on having the "U" side of the bolt face the bow as to avoid the poling platform which sticks out behind the boat. My thought is that i would drill a 5/16" hole in the transom (after measuring 100 times) lather up the bolts and plastic sheet in 5200 and tighten them down. Am I missing something?

The hull is a 2001 15' Mitzi. I'm under the assumption that there is no wood in the transom and the boat is fairly light (older 40hp 2-stroke) so I'm not too worried about the weight of the boat. Should I be?

Needless to say I'm somewhat nervous about drilling 4 holes into a perfectly good boat. Is there any advise you would give me before going nuclear?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,371 Posts
If it’s a cored transom you might sleeve the bolts so when you tighten them down it doesn’t compress the transom and has something solid to tighten against.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts