Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of redoing my skiff. I am going to install a GPS/Fish Finder and was trying to figure out my best option for the transducer cable. The plug end requires an one inch hole to get it through the transom. I figure I would drill that hole well above the water line. My question is what is the best way to seal that in? I could epoxy it, sand, paint and put a clam shell on it. Problem there is if I need to remove the transducer for any reason it would be a real pain to replace. Do they make a rubber compression fitting similar to a transom plug that as it tightens it squeezes around the wire and plugs the hole? I was thinking I could try and fabricate something but wanted to see what other guys have done. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Ankona Cayenne
95 Posts
Up and over the transom. If done correctly it will look clean. Transducer cable can be fed back under the deck where all of your power cables, steering cables are fed upwards from below. I’m making my last trip on my old Garmin this weekend and will be installing a new Simrad on Monday. Can take some pictures of the install if interested.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Up and over the transom. If done correctly it will look clean. Transducer cable can be fed back under the deck where all of your power cables, steering cables are fed upwards from below. I’m making my last trip on my old Garmin this weekend and will be installing a new Simrad on Monday. Can take some pictures of the install if interested.
That would be awesome. I am a few weeks away so that will definitely help. Thanks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
637 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ankona Cayenne
95 Posts

Installed my new transducer cable and Simrad on Monday, but work got in the way of posting it until now.

Thankfully most of the spacing going from a Garmin to Simrad was universal, however, the transducer cable is considerably thicker and the connection is twice as large. I used 3/16” nylon clamps and ran a small dab of 5200 into the holes before securing them. Overall not a difficult install but one will need to run a messenger line or use a snake to feed your transducer cable up to the console. Due to the larger size, I swapped out my Ram Mounts for a size “C” which is capable of supporting the Simrad’s weight (2.86 lbs). Due to the larger bracket, I had to drill my own holes which were secured with stainless hardware (10-24 x 1 1/4”) which were ground down once installed so no snagging or sharp edges were present.

If you have any questions or need any recommendations on mounting the units, there are several threads already posted which are helpful and subjective. For me keeping it removable is best, and I don’t have the real estate for an in dash mount.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for posting. That does look like a great way to do it.

Installed my new transducer cable and Simrad on Monday, but work got in the way of adding it until now.

Thankfully most of the spacing going from a Garmin to Simrad was universal, however, the transducer is considerably thicker and the connection is twice as large. I used 3/16” nylon clamps and ran a small dab of 5200 into the holes before securing them. Overall not a difficult install but one will need to run a messenger line or use a snake to feed your transducer cable up to the console. Due to the larger size, I swapped out my Ram Mounts for a size “C” which is capable of supporting the Simrad’s weight (2.86 lbs). Due to the larger bracket, I had to drill my own holes which were secured with stainless hardware (10-24 x 1 1/4”) which were ground down once installed so no snagging or sharp eyes were present.

If you have any questions or need any recommendations on mounting the units, there are several threads already posted which are helpful and subjective. For me keeping it removable is best, and I don’t have the real estate for an in dash mount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.