Trailer tire/wheel size

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Delmer, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Delmer

Delmer I Love microskiff.com!

I just bought a new trailer that has 4.80 x 12 tires and rims. I would like to put 13" or 14" car tires on it, is this possible whithout changing the axle and hubs?

2. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

As long as the fenders and frame allow. You have to check vertical clearance and hub face to frame. I put over 7,000 miles on a set of 12 inch tires last year at highway speeds.
    How heavy is the load on the trailer?

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

just keep in mind that car tires are constructed differently then trailer tired.

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I've had radial car tires on a trailer.
    Worked fine, no problems,
    no real towing difference that I could feel.

www.taskmasterproducts.com/acatalog/whybuytrailertires.pdf

5. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I have used and still use radial auto tires on my trailers for years. I have found no difference in handling other than I can roll my boats and trailers by hand with far less effort than with regular trailer tires.

I have been towing boats for a very long time and have nothing good to say about small trailer tires. They wear very quickly and are prone to air loss and being damaged.

Best regards,
    Frank_S

6. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

Pay attention to the load rating of the car tires, and you'll be fine with them. You should be able to get 12" passenger tires much cheaper than trailer tires too. Unless you are changin your rims for some reason, put a 12" radial on it and hit the road.

7. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

goodyear marathon radials are the best for road trips ---they can handle the weight and speed

8. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

good year marathons are crap :eek:, theres tons of talk about good year marathons on the florida sportsmans forum, you really owe it to yourself to check it out ;) seems like the tire of choice are the denman radials

9. devinmurray99

devinmurray99 Well-Known Member

I was about to buy the Goodyears from Sams Club next week when I install the new axle.  So what makes 'em crappy? 

I have chewed throught a set of premounted Trail Americas STs that I have not been too pleased with.

For load purposes I'd stay away from the car tires. If you hit a pothole or a curve turning a corner the sidewalls can get easily pinched against the rim and cause a blowout because they are not reinforced.

10. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

Goodyears are now made in China. They also are getting a history of failures. I have had good luck with Load Star Radials. Just what I know.

11. The_Skiff_Shop

The_Skiff_Shop Well-Known Member

I'll stick with this guy. ;)

12. G2OMARINE

G2OMARINE Well-Known Member

Dont buy the goodyear.Three of of the three that I had went south, 1 blew up 1 got a huge bulge and the other had very bad tread wear.Ive had great luck with the plain old bias ply Trail star tires.